Hang on the back Overflow...More questions...

Discussion Of Local Group Meetings For the Baldwin County and Mobile Area

Moderator: snoopdog

HCJohn
Amoeba

Hang on the back Overflow...More questions...

Post by HCJohn »

Im sorry guys, Ive never run a sump before so Im probably going to be bugging you guys alot. If nothing else, it will get some conversation going on these forums. :)

Im looking at getting a hangon the back overflow as the title says, But Im wondering what kind I should be looking at. There are the ones that use a powerhead to suck the airbuble out once the siphon has been broken, and then there is the kind that uses a U tube to get the siphon going again ( at least I think thats what thats for)

If any of you have used any of these, I would like to know your experiences. Im wondering about the one that uses the powerhead, Im just wondering if its going to venturi air into my tank at all times. (I dont want that)

Basically, Im just wanting to try and make sure that when my power goes out and comes back on I dont overflow all over the place. Any help on this thing is greatly appreciated.
28 Gallon Bowfront Tank
35lbs Fiji rock (taken by Katrina)
50lbs Live Sand (taken by Katrina)
175 MH lighting
110watts of PC lighting
Kart Racer
Copepod

Post by Kart Racer »

Well I have never used one that uses a powerhead but my tank has 2 of the U-tube ones that have never failed. Power failures or turning off the return pumps for water changes and they always start siphoning again. With the U-tube both ends of the tube will always be under water so no air should get into the tube. If the pump turns off for any reason it will drain the tank down to the level of the "teeth" on the part of the box that is inside the tank and then that is all. Once the pump comes on, the water will start to flow into the box in the tank and be siphoned over the U and flow down into the sump. My tank drains more water back down the return lines than the overflow box does.

Jeff
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

IMO, and this is only my opinion. Do not go with a hang-on box. I have never heard anything positive about using a hang-on box. Would it be possible to get the tank drilled ?
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

The pump you are referring to is called the aqualifter. If I were to have a HOB overflow, then I would definitely consider using one as a safeguard--whether it is the CPR overflow or even a U-tube one. U-tube ones are much less likely to break siphon to begin with, though.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium