HELP!... :) Can anyone point me to some good refugium plans

Discussion Of Local Group Meetings For the Baldwin County and Mobile Area

Moderator: snoopdog

HCJohn
Amoeba

HELP!... :) Can anyone point me to some good refugium plans

Post by HCJohn »

Hi guys and gals...more questions from me.

Ok, here it goes. 50 gallon tank, overflow box to a 10 gallon aquarium. Do I need to have some sort of union to adjust the amount of water going into the sump? Coming out of the sump? How should I set up dividers and such in the 10gallon tank? Im wanting to run my skimmer, heater and have some macro algae in the sump...do I need to put in anything else? Recommend return pump?

Im sorry, but Ive been searching, and Im just not getting the answers I was hoping. Pics would be great. I really dont know what Im doing here and definately dont want to make any mistakes.

If there is anything else I need to know, please tell me. I know I will need a light for the plants...I guess I can just plumb some pvc up for my return?

Have I asked enough questions? Should I ask some more? :)

Thanks again in advance.
28 Gallon Bowfront Tank
35lbs Fiji rock (taken by Katrina)
50lbs Live Sand (taken by Katrina)
175 MH lighting
110watts of PC lighting
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

There is no way you will be able to fit all of that in a 10 gallon sump. You may or may not want to include a union if you are using PVC, but it won't change the water flow. Are you thinking of a ball valve or something? If possible, you want your refugium to be fed separately from the skimmer--that is, you don't want what comes out of the 'fuge to be skimmed and you don't want skimmed water going into the 'fuge. Not that it won't work that way, but the performance of both is optimized this way. Preferably, you want everything to flow back into the sump, but nothing to overlap. Maybe branch off your overflow drain line to two separate ends and have the main pump in a section in the middle. That way they can be fed separately.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
steveanddanni
Amoeba

Post by steveanddanni »

I would suggest at least a 20gal for the sump/fuge and maybe a Mag 7 for the return.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

10 Gallon tanks are normally very thin. I was also be worried about it cracking while working down there. The glass on a 10 gallon is normally thin compared to a 20 gallon.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
HCJohn
Amoeba

Post by HCJohn »

Thanks guys for the responses...looks like Im going to have to go with at least a 20 gallon. Will continue to research.
28 Gallon Bowfront Tank
175 MH lighting
110watts of PC lighting
steveanddanni
Amoeba

Post by steveanddanni »

The best advice would be to go to http://www.reefcentral.com and read everything you can find on the matter. It will help you to see the different ways people have their setups.
HCJohn
Amoeba

Post by HCJohn »

Yea Ive been doing a ton of that. Was hoping for a footnotes edition. :)

So far all of the info Ive gotten is great. So thanks again
28 Gallon Bowfront Tank
175 MH lighting
110watts of PC lighting
Marsfrogie
Amoeba

Post by Marsfrogie »

Check out melevsreef.com He has some good plans and some good articles about working with acrylic.