Tank, 9 months after

Discussion Of Local Group Meetings For the Baldwin County and Mobile Area

Moderator: snoopdog

sb1227
Astrea snail

Tank, 9 months after

Post by sb1227 »

Well, it sure isn't as clean as it was.... I like the nice, clean look of a new tank, but it sure does look "lived in" nine months after moving to "the big tank". :lol: Now, if I could just get the color to show more in the pictures..... The Acroporas are actually very colorful, seems they always just show brown in the pics, though.
Attachments
120Aug 24.jpg
120Aug 24.jpg (73.95 KiB) Viewed 4118 times
Tank Nov.4.jpg
Tank Nov.4.jpg (66.79 KiB) Viewed 4118 times
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

This little guy has come back from losing all color and massive recession, thought I'd lose it for sure. It's slowly coloring back up, but more importantly, it's healthy and growing again.
Attachments
TricolorAcro.jpg
TricolorAcro.jpg (79.25 KiB) Viewed 4117 times
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Looks great, Sue! I hate how pictures never serve the tank any justice. It's just how it is. I am starting to add Acropora to my tank again (after the dreaded Pocillopora invasion), so hopefully they will color up nicely like yours. I can imagine the actual shades pretty well--just add a lot more color intensity on top of what is there, minus brown. I'll just have to see it in person some day :)
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
Phisher
Hermit Crab

Post by Phisher »

The growth is amazing!
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

I have to do a water change today, maybe I'll attempt a top down shot, but that can be a pain as well with the light reflection. It is interesting, you never seem to notice the growth until you see pictures, I try to take a tank pic every few months so I can look back and see the difference.
I finally had the chance to tell the major difference between the Geismann 12K bulb and a 14K. I used to think there wasn't that much color variation between them. I have the 75, thought I'd use it for keeping frags and stuff in because I had so many in the 120. I ordered a Luminarc fixture (it was supposed to be a 150DE but I ended up with a 250 SE) and because I didn't want to go thru the hassle of returning it I (who know absolutely nothing about SE bulbs :lol: ) finally was talked into a 14K Aquaconnect bulb (I thought it might be better since I had no actinic suppliment). What a difference. I'm not quite sure I like it, although the greens which do nothing in the 120 really do pop under the 14K. It's a bit blue for my tastes, but I'm going to run it for a while before deciding.

BTW Andrew, my Anubias flowered (I think it was the Coffeefolia) a week or so ago and I was too lazy to take a pic. Looks much like a small Peace Lily flower. :D
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

I like A. coffeefolia has much nicer leaves than my ugly A. barteri. Looks like the leaves of (no surprise) a coffee plant. I should get a picture of my amazon sword that bloomed--It has about 8 flower stalks sticking out of the water (more evidence of tank neglect :oops: , but a good thing).
Andrew

sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

Now it'll probably do like that massive Red Rubin I had, grow a whole new plant next to it without you noticing. Try to take that sucker out of the tank and you're in for a fun mess. :lol: I think it took 90% of my substrate with it.

I've found an interesting, but not necessarily nice way to keep the Pocillopora in check.....put a Favites near (but not too near) it. Works fairly well, although the Pocillipora doesn't think so and it is getting a bit lopsided. :lol:
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

sb1227 wrote:Now it'll probably do like that massive Red Rubin I had, grow a whole new plant next to it without you noticing. Try to take that sucker out of the tank and you're in for a fun mess. :lol: I think it took 90% of my substrate with it.

I've found an interesting, but not necessarily nice way to keep the Pocillopora in check.....put a Favites near (but not too near) it. Works fairly well, although the Pocillipora doesn't think so and it is getting a bit lopsided. :lol:
Sounds like a plan :lol: I wish there was a way to mount a Favites in all the strange and varied positions these Pocillopora have sprouted in.
Andrew

sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

These are crappy pictures, actually a reflection on the top of the water and flipped, but they show the colors of some of the corals a little better. BTW, I....being graceful as I am :lol: have a few nice Pocillopora frags from today's water change. If anyone wants one, let me know.
Attachments
Tanktop.jpg
Tanktop.jpg (74.89 KiB) Viewed 4054 times
Tanktop2.jpg
Tanktop2.jpg (80.48 KiB) Viewed 4054 times
casey
Amoeba

Post by casey »

Hi Sue tank looks awesome how have you been? I have been re setting up my big tank.Hope all is well with you,Hows the cats? :)
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

Hi Casey! Glad to hear you're setting your tank back up. You were right, you know....about the Tunzes. :lol:

I'm fine, and the cats are their usual obnoxious selves. I've been wondering what you were up to these days. You need to post some pics of your tank!