sumps or not

Discussion Of Local Group Meetings For the Baldwin County and Mobile Area

Moderator: snoopdog

lowrider
Amoeba

sumps or not

Post by lowrider »

that is the :?: on a 75 gal do u have to have a sump or can u use a hang on back filter thanx in advance for any input
DrHank
Amoeba

Post by DrHank »

You don't have to have a sump but it does give you more options. It allows you to have the heater, skimmer and even a fuge neatly contained and out of site under the stand. Your primary filtration on most salt water tanks is the live rock. A good skimmer is needed to remove dissolved organics. There are many more choices with a sump that there are in HOB skimmers.

IMO, I wouldn't set up a 75 gallon without a sump. If you are thinking of canister filters, let me caution you that they tend to generate more nitrates than you would want in anything other than a fish only or possibly FOWLR.
Doc :D
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

I have to say yes on the sump as well. Especially on tanks that size or bigger. Consider the oxygenation factor as well, they're just good all the way around. :D
lowrider
Amoeba

Post by lowrider »

so how big of a sump do i need for a 75 :?: or is it better just to make my on
DrHank
Amoeba

Post by DrHank »

Il.'ve got a 20 long on my 65 gallon and it's working fine. I'd probably recommend a 29 for a 75 gallon (only because it's a foot longer).
Doc :D
redpheonix
Copepod

sump

Post by redpheonix »

i think that a 30 long or even a 40 long would work grat for you and would give a good bit of space for refugium and an in sump protein skimmer. i think the 29 might be a little tall for the stand.
110 gal reef
29 gal. pred
lowrider
Amoeba

lowrider

Post by lowrider »

thanx for all the info i have no clue about the sumps and how it works i need to read up on this so i can get a idea what im geting myself into :shock: thanx u all