Slight update

Discussion Of Local Group Meetings For the Baldwin County and Mobile Area

Moderator: snoopdog

crazywesc
Amoeba

Post by crazywesc »

How many GPH is the Tunze nano rated at? I really like how they look in the tank, much better than the bigger Tunze. By the way that is a beautiful anemone, sorry it crashed the tank.
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

She's gorgeous, no doubt. Just a handful :lol:. The Tunze nano 6025s (what I use) are rated for 660 gph, but can be modded to around 1500 gph (the same GPH as the much more expensive 6055s). Here is the thread on RC that describes the mod. It's really straightforward and won't void any warranties.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthrea ... genumber=8

Hope that helps.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Alright, now some pics of some new things. The only new item is a little, tiny gold maxima I got from the shop. He settled within 20 minutes and hasn't budged since. Surprisingly, he is getting pounded by flow, but just shrugs all of it off.

A pic of the old clam with a little Montipora frag in the background:

Ah, and the tank looks different because I just changed my blue + T5s. They are giving an uber blue look to things until I get around to replacing the daylight tubes (in a week or so), which will balance things back out.
Andrew

crsswift70
Copepod

Post by crsswift70 »

that will be my next purchase. i think i've got just about enough coral to fill in the rock nicely. I left a nice open area right in the center of the tank that gets light from both halides. Can't wait!
75gal, 20gal fuge, DIY LED, mag5 return, 2xk3's.
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

That should work out fine. Clams have always done really well for me and have been pretty sturdy--especially seeing as how that crocea survived the whole tank crash (and that is supposed to be one of the more demanding species).
Andrew

sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

THAT is a sweet little clam. :D

It amazes me how much flow they can take. Mine gets way more than I think he should, but seems to handle it just fine.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

What is the damn trick to get them to stick to the rock, mine never would.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

sb1227 wrote:THAT is a sweet little clam. :D

It amazes me how much flow they can take. Mine gets way more than I think he should, but seems to handle it just fine.
Thanks. He looks really good, but was actually my second choice. There was one other gold maxima that I really wanted, but because of me and my damned honesty, when I was asked "which one would you get," I said "that one." So, yeah, its gone, but I really do like this one and he seems quite content.
snoopdog wrote:What is the damn trick to get them to stick to the rock, mine never would.
They just like flat surfaces. Sit them on a flattened area and let em rip. If you notice, that crocea actually managed to settle at an angle on the edge of the rock, for whatever reason. It's been there for a few years, so I just leave it be. It has actually started to erode that rock and make a little depression in it.
Andrew

lowrider
Amoeba

Post by lowrider »

andrew dont you have to have killer light to keep them our can you keep some but not others like corals ? I might have to wait for the 75 for them lol
crsswift70
Copepod

Post by crsswift70 »

Normally a well established and stable tank, plus good lighting. What good is i'm not sure, but i know they are mostly photo feeders when they get above a certain size.
75gal, 20gal fuge, DIY LED, mag5 return, 2xk3's.
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

lowrider wrote:andrew dont you have to have killer light to keep them our can you keep some but not others like corals ? I might have to wait for the 75 for them lol
It isn't absolutely necessary, but it certainly helps with their success rate. I recommend as bright as possible, though they are (surprisingly) tolerant of lower light levels. I had them for years under VHO, actually, until I got in one that had a Perkinsus infection (aka pinched mantle disease) and wiped the rest out. I actually had a derasa and a crocea--the crocea was the new addition then and gave the 7 year old derasa PMD and they both died. This was before anyone really knew how to treat it, but even had I figured it out, it would have been too late to save them.
Andrew

sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

I put mine on a cool little slightly cup shaped rock about 5 inches around, and he dug right in. He does sit on the edge of it, and occasionally shifts a bit depending on how strong the flow is...but seems pretty confortable on it. Finally put the rock on the sand in the front center of the tank for more flow and light and will prob leave him there as he seems happy.
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Welp, I got another small frag today. We got in a few maricultured colonies, one of which managed to break up a bit. That gave me the perfect opportunity to get little frag of it. It is one of those staghorn-esque Acropora with an overall turquoise color and bright blue tips. If I have as much luck with blues as I did last time, I can get most of it to turn bright blue (hopefully). In any case, it should acclimate much better than the colony would have, even if it is maricultured.
Andrew

Rebel01
Amoeba

Dumb question???

Post by Rebel01 »

Okay, this may be a dumb question. If you still have the anemone and she is still spawning twice a year. What's to keep the tank from crashing every time she spawns?
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Not a dumb question at all. The response may seem dumber than the question, actually :lol:. There is nothing to stop her from doing it again. That is why I don't try too hard to get things moving again. I am doing it slowly and cheaply right now. Beyond that, I have begun to feed her much less often, which should cut back the frequency a lot.
Andrew