Acropora spawning

Discussion Of Local Group Meetings For the Baldwin County and Mobile Area

Moderator: snoopdog

Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Acropora spawning

Post by Amphiprion »

I noticed tonight that my Acropora "millepora" is in the middle of spawning. Normally, I attribute this to a stressor of some sort, but nothing out of the ordinary has occurred for that to happen. I have checked everything--calcium, alkalinity, magnesium, pH, temperature, salinity, etc. and there is no noticeable change, nor did I change anything. All of my powerheads are working, all of the corals seem to be in good shape, with good growth and polyp extension (although I realize the latter isn't really a good indicator). Anyway, I thought it was kinda cool. Basically, all of the polyps swell up, turn a whitish color with a noticeable bulge and "pop" out the eggs come. Unfortunately, I couldn't get any pictures :(.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

Very cool! :D that's' a hard one to get pic's of usually. It may be one of those cases of "because it wants to". :lol: Same thing with polyp extrusion with LPS, I always start worrying that there's a big problem and if I can't find any water issues I think it may just be time for it to propagate itself....who knows. It is cool to watch tho. Now if you have some babies pop up you can really consider yourself lucky. :D
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

I was definitely excited about it. I don't know if I'll get any babies out of it--I can't recall if colonies are single-sex or not... The only thing I saw out of this one was eggs. I never could find any noticeable problem, so I'm going to guess it just wanted to "dü it." :lol:
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium