HR 669, the end of our hobby

Discussion Of Local Group Meetings For the Baldwin County and Mobile Area

Moderator: snoopdog

Crustman
Amoeba

HR 669, the end of our hobby

Post by Crustman »

This new bill as proposed will end our hobby as we know it. It stops the trade and sale of all exotic pets, fish, corals, reptiles, amphibians, Ferrets, hamsters, birds and many others. No propagation selling or breeding. I know this is a political topic but it should be discussed. I have been collecting information on the bill. He is a video opposing it: http://www.nohr669.com:80/ The actual bill is here. http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin ... ih.txt.pdf and here is a sponsor,
http://www.house.gov/bordallo/Press_Rel ... 009-1.html

Seems they had a little problem with the Brown tree snake and lost all the native birds on their Island.
Crustman
Amoeba

Post by Crustman »

Your current reef tank and inhabitants would be grandfathered in but don't expect to replace any losses.
Crustman
Amoeba

Post by Crustman »

They are nice enough to let us keep Goldfish, a highly invasive species. :D
crsswift70
Copepod

Post by crsswift70 »

Well.. the underground coral trade will BOOM! Black market pulsing xenia.. who'd a thunk it? :)
75gal, 20gal fuge, DIY LED, mag5 return, 2xk3's.
Neuticle
Copepod

Post by Neuticle »

If this passes, I'm setting up a full frag tank and farming the crap out of everything I can get my mits on.
100 gal mixed reef, 30 gal sump, 4x54w T5, 2x150w HQI, OctoX 200 skimmer, Kalk top-off, rocky mixed reef.
Brian
Amoeba

Post by Brian »

I hate to say it but we did it to ourselves. If people would not release animals into the wild that don't belong, then this MAY have never come up as an issue. Think of all the non native species people release just becuse it outgrows their tank and also think of all the other reptiles people have released.
strout
Copepod

Post by strout »

I have to belive that this will never pass. It will cost to many people their bussinesses and lively hoods. This bill would put pet stores out of bussiness. I can see it going back into committee to be rehashed and a new bill being worked out, maybe. I think what will happen in the long run is that Homeland Security will be given the power ( if they don't already have it ) to target certin species to be denied entry into the US. We will see, never can tell about Washington DC. We have a pet store here where I live that mainly sells snakes, they have this snake in a tank that is marked not for sell. The tank has a government sticker on the tank that says this snake can't be purchased, dont know the agency, didnt read it that close, I will next time I am in the store. The snake, forgot the type, I have seen on the discorvey channel, is some kind of S. American Viper. WHY would you have this snake in your store. This store, when Hurricane Katrina came thru had 8 ft of water in it, the storm comes thru today, that snake is out of his tank and roaming the streets. It makes no since to me.
Neuticle
Copepod

Post by Neuticle »

S. American Viper? Perhaps a Verde Lance, those are some nasty little bastards.
100 gal mixed reef, 30 gal sump, 4x54w T5, 2x150w HQI, OctoX 200 skimmer, Kalk top-off, rocky mixed reef.
strout
Copepod

Post by strout »

I think thats what it is. It is kinda whitish looking and the pattern on the snake kinda looks like a dimond back.
Crustman
Amoeba

Post by Crustman »

Fer de Lance, South American Pit Viper
Neuticle
Copepod

Post by Neuticle »

Crustman wrote:Fer de Lance, South American Pit Viper
Word, I worked in Central America for a short time, I could never understand what those people were telling me, in fact I'm impressed I got so close. :D
crsswift70
Copepod

Post by crsswift70 »

I think this was defeated today. It would have to be re-written and re-introduced.
75gal, 20gal fuge, DIY LED, mag5 return, 2xk3's.
strout
Copepod

Post by strout »

:D :D :o :P 8) :shock: :roll: :wink: 8)