What am I in for

Discussion Of Local Group Meetings For the Baldwin County and Mobile Area

Moderator: snoopdog

strout
Copepod

What am I in for

Post by strout »

I have an Aiptasia problem. I am going thru a bottle of Aiptasia X in a little over a month, @ $20.00 a bottle. My LFS sells (sp) Kline Butterfly fish that he says will kill all the Aiptasia in my tank, I was told to get a few ( by a few people)
Pepperment shrimp and to let them deal with this. Well, my LFS can't get any Pepperment Shrimp, he orders them for me, and then they don't come in. Sooooo I got one of the Kline Butterfly fish. I have been resiting getting the fish because I just didn't want another fish in my tank, the shrimp, if they died I could just feed them to my Rose Ann., anyway he told me the fish wouldn't hurt my Zoas and polys, so I broke down and bought the fish because I am tired of dealing with this Aipasia. Am I going to have a problem with this fish? I have to a certin extent, kinda sorta not taking the mans word at face value at the LFS, ever since the Manderin Goby he sold me, telling me that the fish would have plenty to eat in my tank and the fish only lasting a month.
Neuticle
Copepod

Re: What am I in for

Post by Neuticle »

From what I have seen, butterfly fish are similar to delicate tangs in the care dept. They are also opportunistic feeders, your LFS guy was a little optimistic telling you they won't bug your polyps. More than likely, you will need to find a food it likes a lot and keep it well fed to avoid coral damage.

I have always admired butterfly fish, but have never took the bait. Most of them are delicate fish with special diet requirements, and an appetite for things you don't want them to eat. I know some folks have had great experiences with butterfly fish in their displays, but it's a risk.
100 gal mixed reef, 30 gal sump, 4x54w T5, 2x150w HQI, OctoX 200 skimmer, Kalk top-off, rocky mixed reef.
strout
Copepod

Post by strout »

I tend to over feed the fish in my tank, and the Kline is eatting the same stuff I feed my other fish so hopefuly a full belly will keep him away from my zoas. But, I am taking no chances, I am moving all my $$ Zoas and Polys up into my frag rack.
Fishfood
Chromis
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Fishfood »

With the zoathids you have in your tank you have to move them to the frag tank. Its not worth the risk.
ladyofthedeep
Amoeba

Post by ladyofthedeep »

Hey, why not direct feed the pests with hot h20. Really , what can live if you hit it that way?...Carol
reefman8471
Amoeba

Post by reefman8471 »

Klein's Butterflyfish (Chaetodon klenii) are arguably the hardiest butterfly fish to maintain in the aquarium. I have seen a couple of specimens eat pellets within a couple of days. No other butterfly fish species has ever done this for me. They reach an adult size of 5.5 inches. They have a very broad diet that does include coral polyps. As to what it eats in your tank may depend on were the fish was collected. I currently maintain one in a 55 gallon tank for a customer and he does not eat any of his corals. He has zoanthids, leathers, mushrooms, and star polyps. He also feeds quit a bit. They also do eat aiptasia. I would certainly recommend using this butterfly fish over the often used Copperband Butterfly mainly because the Copperbands' are very finicky when it comes to eating prepared foods. However, the Klein's are far from reef safe but at least you have a chance of it not eating your corals as opposed to many other species such as a Raccoon Butterfly fish.

James
There are no problems; only solutions.
Fishfood
Chromis
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Fishfood »

Thats still a tough sell with the zoanthids that he has in there. Just guessing on the price per polyp he has paid I wouldn't risk it. I had an orange spot rabbitfish that cleaned me out of zoanthids. He went a year without touching them, or I just didn't notice it to eating every single one of them over a day or 2 period. They weren't anything fancy so it was no big deal but I just didn't expect it.
strout
Copepod

Post by strout »

Hes outa there, if I can catch him, I knew better and let the LFS owner talk me into buying it. I will call Progressive and see if he can get me a few Pepperment shrimp.
Mydraal
Amoeba

Post by Mydraal »

Have you tried Berghia Nudibranchs yet?
strout
Copepod

Post by strout »

I read those were good but I couldn't find any. I also heard that when all the Aiptasia was gone they would starve.
Mydraal
Amoeba

Post by Mydraal »

Yes they will, that's when you pass them on. I had a huge problem at one point and they helped me get back on point. There's a couple websites and a great guy on ebay that sells them. If nothing else works for you, I'de give them a shot.