Boiling mad

Discussion Of Local Group Meetings For the Baldwin County and Mobile Area

Moderator: snoopdog

Crustman
Amoeba

Boiling mad

Post by Crustman »

Just got a nice acan and other corals from Drew. Put them in my tank last night. Just this morning I saw this stupid black and blue leg hermit on the acan. It ate 2 polyps before I had time to remove it. 1 polyp left. Not reef safe hermit. Get them out of your tanks if you have acans. Live and learn.
Fishfood
Chromis
Are you a Bot ?: No

Re: Boiling mad

Post by Fishfood »

you serious? I have another little one for you. It needs some time to grow and its only a little baby polyp. Those were healthy heads. They had their polyps out when you were here to pick it up. There was some exposed flesh because they were just fragged and two of the heads had some chunks out but they were feeding for me. I wonder if thats why the crab ate them?
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

Oh and thats why I only have Scarlet hermits in my tank, although I think that I might have picked up some kind of little blue one on a coral or something. I've seen it every now and then in the tank.
Crustman
Amoeba

Post by Crustman »

I saw all the heads fully extended last night. They were nice. Now that I have the crab in a cup. I can see that I have about 1/2 a polyp for 2 of the heads and 1 full head. I think it will recover. I had no idea that the hermit would eat them. Does anyone need a blue hermit crab? I need to drop it off at Progressive or B and B. It came on a toadstool that I bought from B and B.
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

Those halves will heal and grow into full heads. I've seen it when I fragged mine months ago and ended up with 1 and a half heads. Since these were just fragged a week or 2 ago they haven't had much time to grow out. You should have no problem. Like I said becuase they were half heads that were recently cut the crab saw his opportunity for a meal. I'm not so sure he would have gone after them if they were full heads.
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

Man I just got home and found one of my rose gobies on the floor. I had a mated up pair. I'm not sure if I get another one if they will mate up or not. They both ate last night. I'm wondering when/how he got out and ended up where he was. He was stiff as a board.
Crustman
Amoeba

Post by Crustman »

Sorry about your goby. Man, these reef tanks can be a heartache sometimes
strout
Copepod

Post by strout »

Tony Chachere's is always looking for a few good crabs.

http://www.cajunspice.com/