Good News Bad News

Discussion Of Local Group Meetings For the Baldwin County and Mobile Area

Moderator: snoopdog

strout
Copepod

Good News Bad News

Post by strout »

As ya'll know I have had an aiptisia problem in the tank that I have had a hard time getting under control, and bought a Kline Butter Fly fish to help with this problem. Well, he started wrecking havoc on the zoas and polys on the left side of the tank, the Yellow Tang wouldn't let him on the right side of the tank. Anyway, he had to go and as I have about 230# of Live Rock in the 125 gallon tank we had to take all the LR out of the tank along with all my zoa and poly frags. We got all the LR out of the tank except 5 pieces that I would have had to take the canopy off to get them out, we also had to drain half the water out of tank, but we got the Kline out ( thats the good news). It took us two hours to get him out and another hour to clean up the mess. I have everything back in the tank but I still have to reaquascape the LR in the tank and go and buy about 10 gallons of super glue gel to reattache all the frags to the LR. We did all this Saterday evening and I was going to do the reaquascaping Sunday but did't because I didn't want to stress the other fish again. Anyway, I only have to work a couple hours today and I will try and mess with the rocks today when I get home. Somemore good news, all my $$$ frags were on the right side of the tank and those were not bothered by the Kline BF fish. What may have bothered them was being out of the tank for about an hour, we will have to wait and see, they appear alright.
strout
Copepod

Re: Good News Bad News

Post by strout »

Let me ask ya'll your thoughts on this: Like I said I have a bunch of LR in this tank. most likely to much. All the LR that is not on the outer layer of my aqua scaping, meaning the LR that dosn't get water flow and lighting on it like the outer layer does, dosn't have the (sp) corline alge growth on it. Does this LR without the alge growth serve any useful purpose in the tank other than helping create knooks and cranies for the remaining fish to hide in? I guess where I am going with this is, do I really need this much LR in the tank. When I first got this tank the LFS man said I shoud get 125# of LR and as I was having a hard time getting the rock, I had rock ordered from several diff. sources and when it all came in I ended up with 235# of LR for a 125g tank. I have no problm with this much LR in the tank but if the inside rock won't grow any corline alge on it and dosn't serve any biological need for the tank, I could give my tank a open apperance. Any thoughts on this?
Neuticle
Copepod

Post by Neuticle »

All the rocks serves a purpose of denitrification, whether or not it has coraline on it is not a measure of it's efficiency.

If you wanted to remove some rock you certainly could.
100 gal mixed reef, 30 gal sump, 4x54w T5, 2x150w HQI, OctoX 200 skimmer, Kalk top-off, rocky mixed reef.
strout
Copepod

Post by strout »

If it is doing a denitrification need in the tank I will leave it, I just wasn't sure it was since I couldn't see the corline algee on the rock. Thanks for your input.
strout
Copepod

Post by strout »

I got the tank reaquascaped yesterday and got all my frags reglued down to the Live Rock, everything looks good. I have (had) three shooms in the tank I got from Karen, the red one is dead the green one with strips is still hanging on and the purple one will make it. They were all doing good and I was hopeing they were getting ready to split. I lost a few frags of my polyps but overall I feel lucky that I didnt lose more to the stress of having to take everything out of the tank to catch that Kline butterfly fish. The tank really looks better now than it did before. The fish when I got them were alot smaller and the have doubled in size or more and they needed more room in their caves to hide in and they have that now. Now that I have the tank back together we will have to see what will make a come back and what won't. I could kick the LFS in the &^%$# for talking me into getting that Kline, but it is what it is. I will try and gets some pics posted in a day or two, most likely this week end. Oh, Chris, that soft coral I got from you. I think a Devils hand, the thing that has the little white polyp flowers that come out on it. Forgot what it was called, anyway the Kline went after it but I was able to save it and it looks good.
Neuticle
Copepod

Post by Neuticle »

Yeah definitely do your own research from now on :D I've learned that one man's "reef safe" is not usually the same as mine.

Don't worry too much about the shrooms, I've seen shredded mushrooms come back strong.
100 gal mixed reef, 30 gal sump, 4x54w T5, 2x150w HQI, OctoX 200 skimmer, Kalk top-off, rocky mixed reef.
strout
Copepod

Post by strout »

I went into the LFS today to buy some food for the fish and told the guy about the Kline and everything we had to go thru to get the fish outa the tank. He said that its the first tme anyone he had sold the Klines to had a problem. He then asked me if when I reaquascaped the tank yesterday if it turned out better than it was before, I said yes it looks alot better than before and that I was happy with it. He said, see it wans't a total loss having to tear the tank apart, I guess he has a point as long as I don't lose anymore zoa frags.