help! something new

Discussion Of Local Group Meetings For the Baldwin County and Mobile Area

Moderator: snoopdog

SundownSerenity
Amoeba

help! something new

Post by SundownSerenity »

Guys, i've got "something" growing on my live rock... it is a milky color and seems to be soft but firm... its nearly completely covered one whole rock... however, it's growing on the backside of it so i cant really get a good picture of it... gosh, it always seems like there's something new happening... thanks y'all!!!
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Re: help! something new

Post by Amphiprion »

In terms of sheer likelihood based on that description, it is probably a type of sponge.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
SundownSerenity
Amoeba

based on the texture, i would say that it is correct... now, are sponges okay for my tank? how do i stop it from spreading? how did i get it? any information you have would be helpful.. thanks!!!!
SundownSerenity
Amoeba

okay, i was just surfing the web and i have seen several people describe what i might have.. they're calling in algae... but those forums do not have any answers...
Neuticle
Copepod

Post by Neuticle »

It sounds like a sponge to me too, or some tunicate type deal. Most are beneficial at best and harmless at worst. The only ones to watch for are the ones that grow fast and grow in bright light, they are pretty rare, but can envelope corals.
100 gal mixed reef, 30 gal sump, 4x54w T5, 2x150w HQI, OctoX 200 skimmer, Kalk top-off, rocky mixed reef.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

Agreed, more than likely a sponge. Beneficial.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
SundownSerenity
Amoeba

Thanks alot... that's exactly what it was... after further examining, i.e., i took it out and felt it, ha ha... and it felt exactly like a household sponge.. you guys are great!!!! i sure appreciate your input!!! keep it up!!! :o)