Acropora bleaching

Discussion Of Local Group Meetings For the Baldwin County and Mobile Area

Moderator: snoopdog

SundownSerenity
Amoeba

Acropora bleaching

Post by SundownSerenity »

Anyone have any help regarding my acropora losing its color? Water quality, calcium levels, temperature seems to be normal and stable... Thanks a bunch!
Shelli
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Re: Acropora bleaching

Post by Amphiprion »

Any more info, like when you got the coral, tank setup? Also, giving numerical values for calcium, alkalinity, magnesium, salinity, temp, etc. is also important.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
SundownSerenity
Amoeba

not real sure about all that information... i can tell you i got it about 2 months ago.. and it started losing its color a couple of days ago... 75 gal tank, supers skimmer, sump with 1000gph, a maxie jet 1200 and a another jet, cant remember the name of it, but it pushes about 600gph...i've had my tank less than a year, i'm a real amature...i've got a half dozen fish, snails, hermits, anemone, zoas, xenias... oh, and another stony that seems to be doing okay... does any of that help you help me?? lol
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

That helps a bit. What kind of flow do you have the coral in? As far as these corals go, you don't have much water motion, since they can and do appreciate a good bit. It needs to be indirect strong flow, though, so placing it in the path of the flow from the powerhead won't help at all and may end up just killing it. What kind of lighting do you have? I am also concerned that you were sold that coral to begin with, given that you seem to be a beginner and those are some of the most unforgiving corals in the hobby (others are worse, but still). I would've said to take it and get your money back, but after 2 months, that's not much of an option. If you can, try to get as many of the things I listed tested, in addition to phosphate and nitrate. Unfortunately, by the time you are able to get all of it, it may be too late, as these corals fade fast after a certain point. Getting more water motion in the tank may also help.
Andrew

Crustman
Amoeba

Post by Crustman »

Make sure that no softies, LPS or anenomes are near it. A single Aiptasia sting at the base of the coral could cause it to bleach all the way up. I have seen it. Watch out for mushroom corals also especially Rhodactis. Toadstool leathers may also produce toxins. Keep up the carbon reactor for toxins.
rkelley_10
Amoeba

Post by rkelley_10 »

My key to success with SPS is as follows:

-Strong, indirect, intermittent flow
-Adequate PAR values (light that can be utilized for photosynthesis) at a given height
-If running a mixed reef, run carbon for 2 days at least every two weeks (don't let your tank become a petri dish for allelopathy)
-Brightwell Aquatics Koralle-VM -- This is a vitamin and trace element additive that I have had success with, mostly due to the high amounts of Vitamin C it
contains
- Coral Frenzy - great product from which I have seen a great response. Mix of zooplankton, oyster larvae, yadda yadda yadda. It works but be careful as it can
foul up your tank and drive your skimmer crazy.

These are just a few things I do. Bleaching can be due to a number of reasons, all pointing to stress. If it's turning green or "browning out" this can be due to a lack of adequate light. Smooth skinned acropora produce a "UV shield" of nicely colored pigments in order to keep the symbiotic algae in its cells from being damaged by UV radiation. This is where the "Purple" in Purple Monster comes from. When adequate light is absent, this pigment is shed and the zooxanthellae (algae) will proliferate in order to capture as much available light as possible. I love getting "brown out specials" or browned out frags that people have given up on. After a couple weeks, I had free frags of rainbow acro, red prostrata, Hawkins and some others.

The true answer: STABILITY, STABILITY, STABILITY
You can have all the right elements present and still have high mortality rates if the conditions are not stable. Acros especially are frustrating as they are quite picky, and deteriorate rather quickly. Just imagine coming home from work and a couple of your prized pieces have Rapid Tissue Necrosis, sloughing, flatworms, etc. Also keep in mind that different specimens have different requirements and that prescribed advice cannot really be interpreted as a blanket statement. Hope that helps
12g modded JBJ NC, 5.5g DIY all-in-one pico, 90g corner-flow w/ 30g sump
strout
Copepod

Post by strout »

Some good advice by all, its nice to know we have this kind of experience to be had on MBRK just for the asking.
rkelley_10
Amoeba

Post by rkelley_10 »

I have to agree that we do have great resources in this area. For me it's blind luck, a lot of bravado, and obssessive research/ trial and error that has led me to my conclusionS. Seven months ago I started this hobby and have enjoyed most the keeping of acropora
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

rkelley_10 wrote:I have to agree that we do have great resources in this area. For me it's blind luck, a lot of bravado, and obssessive research/ trial and error that has led me to my conclusionS. Seven months ago I started this hobby and have enjoyed most the keeping of acropora

That's how I started out exactly. I'd never even kept an aquarium before. The only advantage I've had over many people is that I started out much earlier than most. I had my first reef (I even paid for most of it at the time) when I was 8 yrs old, so I've had a reasonable amount of time to hone my knowledge and skills as far as aquariums are concerned.
Andrew

rkelley_10
Amoeba

Post by rkelley_10 »

Before reefing, as little as 2 years ago I literally couldn't keep a betta alive. Then in may my roommate set up a 7g. Even with just LR under 50/50's I was hooked from that point. Damn this addiction
SundownSerenity
Amoeba

Thank you so much for all the information... Y'all are great!!!