local Clean up crew

Discussion Of Local Group Meetings For the Baldwin County and Mobile Area

Moderator: snoopdog

MAD-MAX
Amoeba
Are you a Bot ?: No

local Clean up crew

Post by MAD-MAX »

Anyone know were there is a good place to get a cleanup crew locally..
i was thinking of going to the bait shop to get some small crabs...
B&b dosn,t have much and Progressive is never open..
.[.Drove 25 miles to go there yesterday and thay were closed to go to the football game]

Thanks in advance
AL :mrgreen:
Scott
Goby

Re: local Clean up crew

Post by Scott »

I don't think I would collect or use too much collected from around here. You never know what they might eat when they are put in your tank. One thing that I used to collect was peppermint shrimp but they don't clean much.

Saltwaterfish.com is where we used to order that type of thing from. They are fairly close and were cheaper than most. We usually split some package. I have only went on there to make sure they were still open and I can't say much about current pricing.
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

you can try these guys http://www.reeftopia.com/. I had good luck with them on an order about 6 months ago. I would not use anything other than the nerite snails from around here.
andy4499
Chromis

Post by andy4499 »

I have been getting my clean up crew, fish and other things from http://www.Reefs2go.com. They have some great prices and offer free shipping on orders over $150. They sometimes offer other discounts also. They used to offer 20% off your order for being a member on facebook. If others are interested we could get a group order going.
225 Gallon Aquarium, Two 40 gallon frag tanks, 75 gallon refugium, 30 gallon sump
neptune aquacontroller III
Lighting = 3 x 400 watt MH, 4 x 6' VHO's,
Pumps = Panworld 100 (return), 2 x Vortech MP40, Seio 1500
ASM G-4 Skimmer, GEO calcium reactor.
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Another great site is www.reefcleaners.org
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
Neuticle
Copepod

Post by Neuticle »

You can get everything you need around here in the summer, during winter there isn't much that you can find. "Clean-up crews" are pretty over-rated anyways, IMO.
100 gal mixed reef, 30 gal sump, 4x54w T5, 2x150w HQI, OctoX 200 skimmer, Kalk top-off, rocky mixed reef.
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

Neuticle wrote:You can get everything you need around here in the summer, during winter there isn't much that you can find. "Clean-up crews" are pretty over-rated anyways, IMO.
How do you differentiate between what will and what won't eat corals? I put one local hermit in my first tank and it started eating mushrooms. I took it out but it looked like it had eaten some Xenia and button polyps too. After I took it out everything healed and I never had another problem like that.
MAD-MAX
Amoeba

Post by MAD-MAX »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: There is prolly many things in our good old gulf to put into our tanks....
i,m going to start a small 20 or 30 to try things in ...
My Mobilious bullis minouise are doing great in my 75 gal ...
thats one in the pic...
Neuticle
Copepod

Post by Neuticle »

Scott wrote:How do you differentiate between what will and what won't eat corals? I put one local hermit in my first tank and it started eating mushrooms. I took it out but it looked like it had eaten some Xenia and button polyps too. After I took it out everything healed and I never had another problem like that.
I've kept local stuff in my tank for two years now with no problems. The striped hermits are nearly identical to the commonly sold blue-legs, and if you wait until summer, you can find little ones. There is a variety of zebra hermit also, but less common.
100 gal mixed reef, 30 gal sump, 4x54w T5, 2x150w HQI, OctoX 200 skimmer, Kalk top-off, rocky mixed reef.
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

Where do you collect them from?
hlander
Amoeba

Post by hlander »

Reef Cleaners is the way to go. John is very helpful and has great prices
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

I've actually only gotten "cleaners" from them once. The prices are very good, but I also really like all the other cool stuff you see there, especially the seagrasses, macroalgae, etc.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
Neuticle
Copepod

Post by Neuticle »

Scott wrote:Where do you collect them from?
The ocean, lol