My 65 tub build

Discussion Of Local Group Meetings For the Baldwin County and Mobile Area

Moderator: snoopdog

Fishfood
Chromis
Are you a Bot ?: No

My 65 tub build

Post by Fishfood »

So I might as well create a thread on this. Progressive is putting the order in Monday and I should have the tank sometime at the end of next week. I'm not sure how long this will take as I have other projects around the house that need to be finished as well. Depending on the weather I'll try to start the stand next weekend. I've got an idea what I want to do with the stand but lets see if it actually comes together. I'm limited on tools so that may be a setback. I did however pick up a pocket screw jig. That should help some.
opiy
Amoeba

Re: My 65 tub build

Post by opiy »

Fishfood wrote:So I might as well create a thread on this. Progressive is putting the order in Monday and I should have the tank sometime at the end of next week. I'm not sure how long this will take as I have other projects around the house that need to be finished as well. Depending on the weather I'll try to start the stand next weekend. I've got an idea what I want to do with the stand but lets see if it actually comes together. I'm limited on tools so that may be a setback. I did however pick up a pocket screw jig. That should help some.
I still never went to talk to B&B about a tank. Now I kinda want a custom acrylic one. Your build sounds like the way mine is, slowly but surely. That pocket hole tool is it the Kreg? I have had my eye on one of those for a while. I will have to get one to finish up my stand build also. Well, keep us up to date.
Larry
My build thread http://tiny.cc/JYzXJ
Slowly building up my equpiment.
Rule of Coral Shopping: If you don't buy it when your see it, it will not be there when you come back.
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

Sounds cool. What are the dimensions of the tank? What are you planning for it?
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

the tank is 36x18x24. The only thing I need to get for the tank is a little more rock and a bigger sump, plus the sand that I got in the Dr. foster @ smith order andy got. I can just move everything from my 30 over into it. When its time to change my bulbs I'll go bigger on them. I have a mix of T5 and VHOs right now. As for livestock... well I'm going to go more LPS. I have a little collection of zoas now and Andrew is holding a few ORA sps but I don't think I'll get any more than that. I plan on getting a rose bubble as well and a black clown. Hopefully he takes to the rose bubble and not my branching bubble or frogspawn. I have a lone pistol shrimp right now and will probaby get a yasha hasha gobi to go with it and was thinking of maybe a blue spot jawfish. That might be it for fish. Maybe another small fish. We will see.

As for the pocket hole tool I got it at HD. It isn't a kreg and was a little more expensive, but I'm tasked to build a tv stand and a bar type thing for the dining room... thats if the stand turns out decent. I really need a table saw and have one that my father-in-law was going to let me borrow but its in Panama City. I could probably use a router for what I want to do as well, but I don't know.
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Just an update on those corals, Drew. The little no-name one was the worst off and still isn't doing so well. The other two--that tort and deepwater--are doing great. The tort has already regrown its growth tips and the deepwater started growing, also. They are ready whenever you set this new tank up.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

the ora's were the pearlbeary and the Hawkins blue enchinata. The tort is also an ORA i believe. I think it was the hawkins that is in really bad shape and I didn't think it would make it. I unfortionatly lost the ORA scripps pink mille. That one was the best looking of the bunch. I'm in no rush to get those back. They will probably do better stayign in your tank for a little if you have the space for them. I have a feeling I'm going to have some water quality issues when I first transfer the tank, considering I just autoclaved 3/4 of my live rock. Hopefully I'll get the other stuff alive here shortly.
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

No problem. They'll be here ready when you are. Also, I have a piece of ORA rose millepora. It isn't the brightest in the world and not as pink as the scripps, but you are welcome to a frag once things are going.
Andrew

Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

So the stand has been built. I'll get some pictures up then. I need to make doors and put some finish trim on it. I hope this thing is strong enough to hold the tank. I didn't go with 2x4. I built it with 1x6s and 1x4s. I also picked up a 20long for the sump. Maybe I'll finish the stand next weekend and then get the thing up and cycling while I build the canopy.
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

So here are some pictures.. Like I said I need to figure out how I want to finish it. It needs some trim work and the black trim from the tank will be hidden.

pheonixsoul25
Amoeba

Post by pheonixsoul25 »

looking good keep the pics coming 8)
100 gallon mixed reef
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

Looks good. I really like the laptop in your kitchen. I never thought to keep one there but I may have to start.
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Looks like the pocket screw jig came in handy. I won't do it any differently anymore now that I have mine.
Andrew

Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

Scott wrote:Looks good. I really like the laptop in your kitchen. I never thought to keep one there but I may have to start.
It was bath time for the baby and Jenns parents have to watch on skype. She is still small enough that she fits into one of those sink tubs.
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

The thing I like about this stand so far is that I can pick it up easily and move it with just one hand. I could only imagine how heavy a 2x4 framed stand skinned with ply would be. I'm going to do the doors the same way I did the sides of the stand. I should have gone a little bit bigger on the width. Its going to be a tight fit when I put the top trim on. It doesn't help that I'm not exactly square. I built all 4 sides and then put them together.
strout
Copepod

Post by strout »

Well, it looks like it turned out nice. Are you going to paint it or stain it?