My 65 tub build

Discussion Of Local Group Meetings For the Baldwin County and Mobile Area

Moderator: snoopdog

Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Re: My 65 tub build

Post by Amphiprion »

Looks good, Drew. I like the little yellow assessor.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
Fishfood
Chromis
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Fishfood »

The only problems with the assessor and the basslet is that they don't come out very often. That was the best shot I could get of the yellow assessor. I use to have 3 tiny little gobies in the tank but they quickly disappeared after I got the firefish. I may add 1 more fish to the mix. I'm looking at the different wrasses. If I could find a african exquisite wrasse. They seem to have better color. If not I'll take another shot at a yasa hasha goby or two.
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

I need to get some updated pics on here. I think I'm maxed out on what I can add coral wise. I'm not too happy with the colors of my sps and think that the T5 have something to do with it. They are also causing problems with my lps/zoas. Too much light. I have two bulbs on a tek ballast running from 12 to 9 and then 4 bulbs on an icecap 440 running from 5 to 9.

As for fish I currently have the swissguard basslet, yellow assessor, randles goby and just recently a female flame wrasse. I'm debating a few more wrasses, yasa hashi goby and probably a pair of orange stripped cardinalfish. I'll try to get some pictures up of the wrasse this week.
AuroraDrvr
Copepod

Post by AuroraDrvr »

Not sure what wrasses you're thinking, but a Potters Leopard wrasse would fit in this tank great.
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

Really you are going to piss in my post like that. Spammers suck :nono:

You know I think a potters would be great. I had a black and white leopard wrasse at one time that didn't do too well. I'm not sure if the 3 foot tank would work well with a potters. They seem to swim a bit more than my tank might allow. I was thinking maybe a pair of McCosker flashers. I saw a nice Naoko's fairy wrasse over in pensacola last week for a great price, although still more than what I'd want to pay but for $130 less then I found one site on line selling them for. A hooded or rhomboid would look great too but both are a lot more than I'd want to pay for a fish. I'm going to wait a little while and see who the flame settles in.
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

So I still haven't gotten a picture of my new flame wrasse. I have no clue where my wife has the camera. On a side note since adding the wrasse I've started to feed the tank every day. What a difference that has made. While I'm getting a new outbreak of cyano my acros and montis have gotten tons of color. Clearly starving you sps isn't the way to go to get color. Its amazing how my rainbow monty when from just orangish polyps with a brown base to purple base with orange and green polyps and my superman is actually getting the purple and red back. The Tyree Ponape looks kind of like it is suppose to and more how it looks in Zacks tank.

So today we had some bad storms. Well I come home to a tank with nothing running. The GFCI tripped at about 10am. I noticed it at 5:30 when I got home. I haven't seen any problems. At least it did its job.
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

That tank just turned out all kinds of awesome.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

So this will be an update without pictures. I had a bunch of changes since the last post. The tank didn't look good for a while and then I took out the phosban or rowphos, whichever I had in the canister, and replaced it with carbon. At the same time I put a light on the sump with macro algae. Well that was a big mistake. One of these two changes caused most of my acans to die. Lost 10 of 12 as well as a few other lps.

I decided to change back to the phosphate remover but left the macro in the sump. I also replace my bulbs and bam things changed. Acros look great again.

I also made that big mistake in adding the bluestripe pipefish. He is doing great and eating mysis shrimp. I have since removed all but 4 lps and 2 I really don't want to take out of the tank because they are really good looking. Despite that this little sucker is great and I'm debating getting the other one that Rich has. Problem is if they are the same sex I'll have big problems.

My goal was to add 3 anthias sometime early next year. Well I was holding one of the azure damsels in my tank for my wifes work tank and thought the colors were just awesome. So I went and got one of them and a yellow tail damsel. The color on these two fish is amazing under t5 lighting. They actually caused my female flame wrasse to show more male colors and got the yellow assessor to come out more often. The royal gramma has his run in with these guys as does teh wrasse but its nothing major. If anyone is looking for a cheap colorful fish that isn't that aggressive get one of those damsels. From what I gather they are two of the most mild mannered damsels.

So now my tank is mostly SPS and zoanthids with a female flame wrasse, royal gramma, yellow assessor, azure damsel, yellow tail damsel, bluestripe pipefish and neon goby. I think I still have a pistol shrimp in the tank but haven't seen him in ages. I'll probably try to add a yasa hashi goby at some point and I'm debating on a fathead anthias as well.
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Never really could get into zoanthids before, but I may try a lone rock with some growing around it in my system. Those look really good... May be time to clear out more grasses.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

I got a real nice one from Andy this past weekend. Its an amazing red zoanthid. He has a mini colony of them I'm sure he is looking to frag and sell. I also got one of the yellow ones from Todd yesterday and its a real cool zoanthid. I think a few rocks mixed in to a seagrass tank would look good. Actually do what I'm doing and put a nice branching piece of tonga rock in there and start putting frags on the branches. It should fill in and get a nice mix. I'm not sure how much more safe zoanthids are for a pipefish but since I took out all my lps I needed to fill some gaps.