Chalice Question

Discussion Of Local Group Meetings For the Baldwin County and Mobile Area

Moderator: snoopdog

strout
Copepod

Chalice Question

Post by strout »

What is the differance between a chalice and an Echinophyllia coral ?? I see them for sale in the same sections of the coral selling web sites. They look about the same to me.
Fishfood
Chromis
Are you a Bot ?: No

Re: Chalice Question

Post by Fishfood »

I think Chalice is just the common name people gave them. Are you in the market for a $200 per eye coral :shock: Some of the prices on them are just crazy right now. I'd be interested in one or two nice ones but just can't justify paying that much for them.
strout
Copepod

Post by strout »

Naw, I :lol: am not in the market for a $200.00 per eye Chalice. The chalices I have been looking at are $40.00 per colony lol. They look almost the same to me ( chalices & Echinophyllia) but they have two differant names, just had me courious as to what the differances in the two are.
Fishfood
Chromis
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Fishfood »

The reason they look the same is because they are the same, but different. Chalice is just a common name given to them because of how they grow. The problem is there are a few different corals that look and grow similar that have all been given the name chalice. So when you say Echinophyllia you could also call it a chalice, but if someone tells you they have a chalice to sell it could be 1 of a few different types of corals. Here is a link I found that talks about a few of the different species of corals that we call Chalice corals. The difference between 3 of them is at the genus level and one is at the family level. Heck with the price of these suckers I'm surprised people haven't tried to pull other corals into the realm of being called a chalice.

http://forums.saltwaterfish.com/vb/show ... lice-coral