Device to shut off power after outage?

Discussion Of Local Group Meetings For the Baldwin County and Mobile Area

Moderator: snoopdog

Crustman
Amoeba

Device to shut off power after outage?

Post by Crustman »

Is there something that I can connect to my protein skimmer plug to shut if off when the power comes on after an outage. No electricity leads to the sump filling with water and the water level rising in the protein skimmer. When power comes on, skimmer overflows and if I am not here to stop it, kalk is pumped into the sump through the stirrer controlled by the ATO. All the water overflowing the skimmer cup does not make it back into the sump. Some ends up in the stand. Thanks
Crustman
Amoeba

Re: Device to shut off power after outage?

Post by Crustman »

There was a power outage at about 2 am last night and my son woke me up in time to unplug the skimmer. Just dirty collection cup water went back in the sump.
corals2go
Amoeba
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by corals2go »

A UPS would help a lot on that you could run a pump for a good while off the battery. Some UPS ($$$) you can tell it not to power back on if it ran out of juice when power is restore.
Babyreef
Amoeba

Post by Babyreef »

I had this exact problem. For me the fix was using an ato(float switch) unit to shut the skimmer down when the sump water level was too high.
Crustman
Amoeba

Post by Crustman »

Thanks for this. I think I need a backup power device. I have an ATO so could reconfigure it. I have a switch in the sump and one in the resevoir.Haveng the upper level switch in the sump though won't work because the water fill this up from the tank overflow.