Sebae Nem

Discussion Of Local Group Meetings For the Baldwin County and Mobile Area

Moderator: snoopdog

tattooedgoddog
Amoeba
Are you a Bot ?: No

Sebae Nem

Post by tattooedgoddog »

I got myself a sebae nem and a clarki clown with it. They seem to be doing pretty well so far. After buyin the Nem i started reading how difficult they are to take care of. Mine was very white when i bought it, and is now turning a nice brownish color. I now know that that is a good thing. I've been target feeding it some snapper that i caught a couple weeks back and it takes it when it wants it and expelles the wast in the next day or so. I"m just curious if any of ya have had sebaes before and if ya have any tips at all.
Thank you
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Re: Sebae Nem

Post by Amphiprion »

Feed it regularly. They do best with fairly small pieces. Also, don't feed every day. It is better to feed, at most, every other day, buy try not to feed less than 2 times per week. Lighting doesn't have to be incredibly intense for these anemones, either, unlike some recommendations. Other than that, just make sure the foot is secure either in the sand or in a rock crevice.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
tattooedgoddog
Amoeba

Post by tattooedgoddog »

Excellent, thank you for the info. I have been trying to feed every 3-4 days. I'm runnin 4 t5 bulbs.. two blue two daylight.
tattooedgoddog
Amoeba

Post by tattooedgoddog »

well sadly i my sebae did not make it. He was expanding is trunk last night and streaching it out toward the rock it was by. I had dug out the sand a bit and but him there and shut down my powerheads for a bit to let him settly. About 3am i came to take a look at him with a dim flashlight and found two of my pepperment shrimp attacking his foot, they were shreading it pretty good. As soon as the flashlight hit, the Clarki came out and ran them off. I left them alone, but pushed the sand in more around the sebae. This morning just about 30 ago i came to see and the damage was 3x worse now and he was completely deflated and non responsive... There may have been a bit of life left in him but i don't belive so. I removed him from the tank for the sake of the tankmates... its very sad now for the Clarki.. hes just hanging out in the spot... poor little guy.
Thanks for your input... i'll for sure try a sebae agian, but not for a good long time. I'll have to stick with a hardier spieces for my nearer future.
jt3069
Copepod

Post by jt3069 »

just cause they are deflatted does not mean they r dead u can move them to a different tank and feed them
they will heal,
LIVING CHEMISTRY SET
tattooedgoddog
Amoeba

Post by tattooedgoddog »

It wasn't a normal deflation.. and the damage done to the foot was pretty bad. There was a basically a hole punched threw the tougher tissue and the shrimp were pulling the softer out threw it. The Nem is in a bucket at the moment with a drip line going to it to see if it will change at all or start to look as if disintigrating. I"d say after my last look its as if its turning to jelly aroud the wound and the edges.
jt3069
Copepod

Post by jt3069 »

thats normal when they have a wound
feed him more
i have put them in breeder tanks that sit in ur main tank to seperate for any harm
they have made full recovery i about a month before
LIVING CHEMISTRY SET
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

tattooedgoddog wrote:well sadly i my sebae did not make it. He was expanding is trunk last night and streaching it out toward the rock it was by. I had dug out the sand a bit and but him there and shut down my powerheads for a bit to let him settly. About 3am i came to take a look at him with a dim flashlight and found two of my pepperment shrimp attacking his foot, they were shreading it pretty good. As soon as the flashlight hit, the Clarki came out and ran them off. I left them alone, but pushed the sand in more around the sebae. This morning just about 30 ago i came to see and the damage was 3x worse now and he was completely deflated and non responsive... There may have been a bit of life left in him but i don't belive so. I removed him from the tank for the sake of the tankmates... its very sad now for the Clarki.. hes just hanging out in the spot... poor little guy.
Thanks for your input... i'll for sure try a sebae agian, but not for a good long time. I'll have to stick with a hardier spieces for my nearer future.
Sorry to hear about that. Ailing specimens can be a bit tricky to say the least. I'd say you made the appropriate decision and judging from the description in previous posts, there were already some issues. Getting a healthy specimen from the beginning will make a big difference, though. A healthy one can be near-indestructible assuming other major conditions are in order.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium