Absolutley SMOKIN hot acros!!!!!

Local area Coral and Frag trading forum.

Moderator: snoopdog

wtrhed
Copepod

Absolutley SMOKIN hot acros!!!!!

Post by wtrhed »

Just left Amazons River. Mark got in a new shipment of aquacultered acros that are AWESOME!!!! I think they are nicer than any others being offered online at the moment. They are mostly blues, but he also has a couple tri-colors and some nice purples. If you keep acros, you DEFINATLEY need to stop by there soon. These pieces are more along the lines of what Rich gets when he gets a really good shipment. It would be totally worth it to just stop by and look. I can't believe I broke our camera, or I would post pics. Hope to have a new one soon.
Fishfood
Chromis
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Fishfood »

Well I just got back from Aquaworks and tim had some nice acros in. He has a bunch of nice aquacultured stuff, nice hammers, and a few other nice LPS I wish I had more cash to spend atm on that stuff. I picked up a nice red Favites sp(moonstone) and a nice Acropora granulosa or what i believe to be an A. granulosa.
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

wow, I found the exact coral that i got from tim at aquaworks. here is the link and a pic.

http://www.reefermadness.us/RMD01050116.htm

now some may not like this but I love the different moonstones and brains(Favia)
wtrhed
Copepod

Post by wtrhed »

See, it pays to check everyones stock FREQUENTLY!!! You never know what you'll find. PLUS there are no shipping/box fees. What did it set you back?? I'm sure it was cheaper than ordering it. Another cool thing about the online vendors pics is that you can Identify your own corals by comparison. I have yet to find a better way of identifying "strange" corals.
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

I got it for $40. Mine is more like 4 inches by 5 inches or close to that. It has to have come from the same location. I mean it is identical. It would be cool if they were getting similar stuff as reefermadness now. He had some of the nicer hammer corals I have seen in a while and an extremely nice elegance.
wtrhed
Copepod

Post by wtrhed »

EVERYBODY gets the same corals. Just because it is "super rare" on a site doesn't mean you can't find it locally. Most online sites offer either hand selected or "cherry picks" which the owner has actually seen and picked out , or trans-shipped corals. The trans-ship method is where a vendor sends an order to a wholesaler, who intern sends it to an island, then the island exports the order to the vendor. The cool thing about this is that no hands are laid on the corals except for re-ox, which means the vendor is the only person to see it except for the collectors. Most local shops do a trans-ship now and then, this is when you have the chance to pick up a real gem without having to pay shipping or an inflated price.
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

yea but you never and i mean never see any of the acros or anything different here in pensacola. I've been going to aquaworks for 4-5 yrs now and for the first time last week I saw things that i considered different. No one has been carrying that rare, exotic items. Tim had been getting stuff transhipped but it never was spectacular. RM gets things that are 10x better looking all the time. In a years time you will be lucky to find 3-4 acros in any store here that even resemble those on RM or many of those other sites. I've been looking for a while now. I do believe that he does trans-shipped orders on a somewhat regular basis. All the acros he had were aquacultured in Java. My moonstone or whatever you want to call it isn't rare, I think its just not that desirable to most people and that why we don't see many of them.
wtrhed
Copepod

Post by wtrhed »

I beg to differ. I have also been shopping there for years. I haven't seen anything at Tims in awhile, but I have picked up some cool stuff from Dave. As a matter of fact, that is where I got this monti from. And when they were still together they were getting super hot stuff in all the time.
medikall
Amoeba

Post by medikall »

The problem with pensacola is there are too many people looking for the ultra items. They are normally gone before the normal person finds them. If you are not there when the shipment comes in you generally have no chance.
Sean
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

I thought all of there stuff was average when they were still together. They had tons of acros but nothing like you will see on some of the web sites, Maybe it was the lighting but I was never impressed. I would stop in weekly to look for acros. Sure they would get some decent LPS but once again nothing that I would call killer.

Medikall - maybe you are right there. I did stop in at aquaworks on saturday last weekend and tim told me to stop by on wednesday and that was the day he was getting a shipment, but I've been in before on shipment days and I never saw much special.

As for daves store I have never been impressed with it and only go about every other month if i'm over that way. Maybe he is getting different stuff now but I hadn't ever seen anything I could consider different.

My ex-girlfriend use to work at reefers - they never had anything

ReefScapes gets some things in sometimes but once again not anything you don't see at any other place that is average.

Waterworld???? I never go there. I refuse to pay those prices, plus from what i've see it is all basic stuff.

My point is if you wanted to fill your tank with different acros and exotic corals you will not have much in your tank as you wait for those pieces to come in locally.

I also know they don't look to get super pricy coral all the time because the market is only so big. Sure there are a lot of reefers here in town but are all willing to pay a hell of a lot for some of these corals.
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

The Reefer Madness guy can't get all the good stuff. He does get the pick of Steve Tyree's shipments but I don't think that PAF imports all the best corals. I have never seen anything close to Reefer Mandness pieces in Mobile but I only get out to Rich's place every once in a while. Maybe once he opens his new store I will be able to drop in more often (it's going to be closer to me :P ) I did see a absolutely wicked yellow bottlebrush type acro at Aquaworks when they were still together. It was fairly large and I still had my 55 gallon and he really didn't want to break the piece up but it was only $90 and had to be 8 inches long and was well worth that price.
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
wtrhed
Copepod

Post by wtrhed »

Fishfood wrote "My point is if you wanted to fill your tank with different acros and exotic corals you will not have much in your tank as you wait for those pieces to come in locally."

Just wait till you come by. Just because certain local vendors "never" have anything cool doesn't mean something really rare can't sneek it's way onto one of there shipments. For example, I went to a shop yesterday that never has anything of interest, but guess what I found? Another Acanthastrea Lord for only $25. It always pays to stop by places and KNOW what is rare and how to find it. Shoot me a pm if you plan on heading this way, Today or Sunday would be best.I think Andy is comming bySunday
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

B&B has the most awesome rare stuff.
-Josh Murrah
andy4499
Chromis

Post by andy4499 »

ShagMan wrote:B&B has the most awesome rare stuff.
They never have anything rare there. Did they just get in an shipment or something?
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

I was being sarcastic :)
-Josh Murrah