need to clear

Local area Coral and Frag trading forum.

Moderator: snoopdog

woolyt2
Amoeba

need to clear

Post by woolyt2 »

i need to clear out some frags, i have some monti, acros ,softies and the such .
if anyone interested pm me or call 251-421-2722 (dirk) ,i will try to get some pics up
will all be fresh cut frags
rkelley_10
Amoeba

Re: need to clear

Post by rkelley_10 »

I'm interested in the SPS. Fresh cut is fine. I'll give you a call tomorrow.
12g modded JBJ NC, 5.5g DIY all-in-one pico, 90g corner-flow w/ 30g sump
strout
Copepod

Post by strout »

I can't buy any at this time (even though I want to, am trying to get my nitrates back in line) But I would love to see the pics of your coral frags.
Jahdiel
Astrea snail

Post by Jahdiel »

strout wrote:I can't buy any at this time (even though I want to, am trying to get my nitrates back in line) But I would love to see the pics of your coral frags.
Someone shared this with us, and I must admit I was afraid to try it, but it really does work. Read it and decide for yourself. I can tell you our nitrates are zero after doing this.
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-08/nftt/index.php
Karen
Neuticle
Copepod

Post by Neuticle »

I tried vodka with a dkH of 12, and almost lost my montis.
100 gal mixed reef, 30 gal sump, 4x54w T5, 2x150w HQI, OctoX 200 skimmer, Kalk top-off, rocky mixed reef.
rkelley_10
Amoeba

Post by rkelley_10 »

From what I've researched, high dKH with vodka dosing will "burn" the tips of most SPS. I dose and keep my dKH around 8; this seems to avoid the problem. The dosing recreates the low nutrient environment (low phosphates, nitrates, etc.) SPS corals inhabit on natural reefs (usually with a dKH around 7). A lot of surface agitation, skimming, and addition of amino acids/HUFA (Highly Unsaturated Fatty Acids) have been found to aid in SPS coral health as well with vodka dosing. I dose Seachem Reef Plus, live phyto, Brightwell Aquatics Kalk +2, and feed with coral frenzy to provide the corals essential nutrients and trace elements. Just my opinion but seems to be the general consensus among those who have experience in dosing. As all tank conditions and livestock are different, one must monitor tank parameters closely to ensure the addition of these substances do not "pollute" the tank. I am a proponent of vodka dosing; more nitrobacters and other beneficial bacteria due to the addition of a bioavailable carbon source will help decrease phosphates and nitrates, the science is there. Other options are to use a phosphate reactor with a phosphate or nitrate sponge as well as large amounts of macroalgae (preferably chaetomorpha) in a refugium.

****DISCLAIMER: The preceding is only based upon extensive research and experiences in my limited time in the reef aquaria hobby. As with all advice given by fellow hobbyists, careful research on the part of the curious and venturous hobbyist is a must.
rkelley_10
Amoeba

Post by rkelley_10 »

Oh BTW, woolyt2 I tried to call you but got no answer. I left a message and will be calling you later today.
woolyt2
Amoeba

Post by woolyt2 »

rk just try me again have had some things going on
rkelley_10
Amoeba

Post by rkelley_10 »

Got everything acclimated and in. Great polyp extension already. Much thanks Dirk. Will let you know when I have some frags for you.
woolyt2
Amoeba

Post by woolyt2 »

hey rk here is that site i told you about http://reefexotic.net/mm5/merchant.mvc? ... ode=CAT001
strout
Copepod

Post by strout »

Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Neuticle wrote:I tried vodka with a dkH of 12, and almost lost my montis.
I was actually dosing vinegar and sugar years ago, not vodka, and I noted the same thing when dosing kalkwasser. The odd thing is, that normally a higher alkalinity is a very beneficial thing for corals--in fact, that is what they evolved in. Only very recently have the oceans' alkalinity dropped to its current level. Beyond that, calcification has been shown to increase substantially with elevated alkalinity. Given that this is normally a good situation, I don't like the fact that these various organic carbon sources make it a bad thing. There are plenty of pieces of information missing on organic carbon dosing in aquariums, namely all the different effects, etc. that occur as a result--the alkalinity thing only being one of them. Besides, at least some of the basic reasoning behind it is incorrect to begin with. All of this makes me reluctant to ever try it again.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium