frag tank

Local area Coral and Frag trading forum.

Moderator: snoopdog

reeferpuffer
Astrea snail

frag tank

Post by reeferpuffer »

i'll be seting up a 25 gallon frag growout/sell tank...i'll be keeping zoo's, acro., baby toadstools, branch. bubble, torch, colt, frogspawn, and buttons in there, and maybe more...will be a few months b4 they are ready for trade/sale..so i'll keep you guys posted...of course ya'll will have 1st pic of any corals in there :D
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

Same here, that's what I'm setting up with the sand I'm getting from you... my show tank has too many critters (conchs, emerald crabs, and boisterous angels), so all my tiny frags keep getting knocked off. Makes me mad!
-Josh Murrah
Fishfood
Chromis
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Fishfood »

I have one question for you guys. If you don't have any decent stores over in that area why doesn't someone get into it by starting out small like that and build. I just drove over to panama city today to sell some of my extra rock and pick of a lawnmower from a guy over there that has a nice tank. Panama City only has one store in town that carries swf and he is thinking of going out of business. Well anyway this martin guy has been buying stuff wholesale and reselling it on line and might think about buying out that fish store. The realizations is that most of the profit comes from maintance. My point is that mobile is bigger than pensacola and panama city. Pensacola has 4 stores and all of them do maintance and seem to be doing ok. If i had some start up cash and knew it would fly over there i'd think about it(plus more knowledge on all aspects of the hobby). I'd love to own a store like that.
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

That is a great question. My brother-in-law is thinking of doing something like that soon.

Scott
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
SaltnLime
Chromis

Post by SaltnLime »

Many years ago I had a tank setup and maintenance service. I bought wholesale supplies and used refurbished tanks/equiptment and resold. At the time I was working for B$B pets. Mostly fresh water stuff...African cichlids...but I did maintain several salt water fish tanks. I got married and decided to get a job with insurance and such....but was making decent money for my age at that time...with no internet sales.

That is basically how Rich got started. We worked together for awhile. I was the Cichlid nut...he was the reefer addict :lol:

I think as an extension of your hobby....it's a good thing. Maybe growing corals to trade or pay for alittle extra hobby stuff. One thing I can guarantee; when you look for it to pay the light bill and mortgage....it will make you lose your passion for the hobby... at least from the recreational/stress relief standpoint. Ask your LFS owners how many of them have tanks set up at home.......Not many.... Even Rich does'nt have one in his HOUSE. He keeps saying he will, but I doubt it.

My best friend and boss once told me....
theres money to be made everywhere.....there is no place in the world you can get away from it!
:lol: :lol:
"Well......maybe I did get alittle carried away! "
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

That's what I found as well... your hobbies are best left as that, just hobbies. Make a little cash from it as needed, just to pay for the hobby itself, but NEVER let it become a business, you'll never "enjoy it" again.

To go along with the above quote, I've heard "the plumber has leaky pipes at home".
-Josh Murrah
reeferpuffer
Astrea snail

Post by reeferpuffer »

i'll 2nd that!, i work with reefs and sw all day and when i get home i dont even wanna deal with mine...it sux i promise, and thats why i want another job..lol...but i thought about opening up my own pet store one day...with dog and cat stuff too to pay for the aquarium dept...lol...but then i thought about it and reality struck...also, my boss, the owner of the store loves reefs and planted awuariums...but he doesnt own an aquarium at all in his home...he dont wanna deal with it. and he can get stuff at wholesale price!!!
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

Yeah only problem is where is everything going after this war....jobs are slim ATM. I am worried about the computer biz now, I mean we are DEAD at work right now. I have never seen it like this, very scarry.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

I wish I could sell enough frags to support my hobby as I would like it to be. As it is I can only buy better stuff if I sell old stuff and I still have to add money. Maybe one day when all my frags are colonies.

We have been pretty busy at work, but it comes and goes. I work completely on commision so when we are slow it hurts bad that is why I told my brother-in-law that I would help him when he needs help starting and keping a business going. It is not going to be an immediate thing though.

Mike, I hope you can find a good job. We have hired stupid a-holes just to have people working because nobody that is worth having is going to give up a good job for one that is uncertain.

Scott
SaltnLime
Chromis

Post by SaltnLime »

Scott wrote:
I work completely on commision so when we are slow it hurts bad...

nobody that is worth having is going to give up a good job for one that is uncertain.

Scott

Yeah, but commision pay is the best way to work IMO. You get real scale benefits from your efforts....and are forced to change/adapt as the economy and consumers dictate.... best way to stay in touch with reality I'd say.

As far as trading VS selling..... there is so much more room when trading. Plus trading has , since the begining, opened up communication lines and started friendships. I'd rather horse trade and HAVE TO TAKE some other thing :wink: than to get money and have to justify spending it (more money) on someting :wink: :lol:

^looks over shoulder to make sure wife isn't watching^
"Well......maybe I did get alittle carried away! "
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

I have seen too many dumbasses give up a good job for some "uncertain" hairbrained idea. They usually come running back after I say " I told you so". I dont know what gets into people, unless the boat is sinking, dont jump.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

I agree, I have made more friends trading than I ever did any other time in my whole life. Even if I don't have anything that someone wants I do have information to pass on. Almost all the corals I have I got from trades. I paid for a few and will try and sell a few soon to fund upgrades. The main reasons that I am going to sell are 1.I paid for them and 2.They are attached to large pieces of liverock.

I am not a huge fan of commision, but in my profession it is the best way for an employer to get quality work out of quality people. If we don't fix a car right the first time, we don't get paid the second time. This tends to weed out those that are not up to standard.

Scott
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

BTW I sent my car back into Mitsibishi today. Horrible fan belt noise after last repair, the bearing noise you heard the other nite and of course the hesitation they did not fix last time.
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.