Plaster of Paris

Local area Coral and Frag trading forum.

Moderator: snoopdog

bluwtr
Amoeba
Are you a Bot ?: No

Plaster of Paris

Post by bluwtr »

Just thinking to myself and was wondering if plaster of paris could be used to make frag plugs. They could be shaped into better designs that would blend in much better; shorter stems; larger or smaller bases etc. Has anyone ever tried this?
Wes

Beatings will continue until morale improves!!!

"I've sentenced boys younger than you to the gas chamber. Didn't want to do it. I felt I owed it to them."--Judge Smails
crsswift70
Copepod

Re: Plaster of Paris

Post by crsswift70 »

would it not dissolve in the water over time? I would think cement would work a lot better. put it in the toilet tank for a week and im sure all ph issues would be taken care of. especially since they are small to being with.
75gal, 20gal fuge, DIY LED, mag5 return, 2xk3's.
bluwtr
Amoeba

Post by bluwtr »

From what I've read once it's hardened it's not a problem, but I'm going to make one and then put it in a glass of water and wait and see. Some people are saying it will disolve but when I searched online a lot of others said it wouldn't.
Wes

"I've sentenced boys younger than you to the gas chamber. Didn't want to do it. I felt I owed it to them."--Judge Smails
biocubed
Amoeba

Post by biocubed »

Hydraulic Cement works better for this. Found at home depot 10 bucks for a tub.
bluwtr
Amoeba

Post by bluwtr »

I've made several of the plugs using the PoP and I've had them soaking in water and they've not dissolved a bit. I've not had any frags to add to my tank lately so I've not tried them yet. I worry about the high caustic pH content of the cement vs. the PoP and having to soak it and change water for a month or longer to neutralize the pH.
Wes