putting in a pool

Off Topic Discussion - Chat about anything, just keep it fairly clean.

Moderator: snoopdog

ShagMan
Goby

putting in a pool

Post by ShagMan »

Due to unexpected circumstances, we're gonna be able to put in a pool this year... I did some shopping, and since I'm sortof handy, I checked on the differences between the "write us a check and the pool appears" and the DIY kits... Pioneer Pool Products right here in town specializes in pool hardware maufacturing and kits...These two prices are for the same end result... a 18x36 recangular 27mil liner pool:

Pioneer (DIY kit only): $6k plus more spent on excavating/etc.
Leisure Pool/Spa (inclusive package) $18k!!!!!

So, I'm gonna be going with the DIY setup. Does anyone have experience with this? The key is going to be finding a good good good quality excavator that can dig the hole right, the first time. The rest is pretty easy stuff, I might contract out hte rtoweling for the floor of the pool and pouring the deck too. I'm shooting for 10-12k MAXIMUM spent.

Thoughts?

Has anyone heard about these salt/chlorine systems, where it uses soft-water bulk salt to keep your pool clean rather than chlorine tablets?
-Josh Murrah
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

My tip, do not attempt this yourself.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
Redfish
Copepod

Post by Redfish »

I have participated in this madness one time before.

I helped a friend remove an old gunite pool and replace it with a DIY liner pool. The original hole was filled first since the shape was different.

Honestly, if your soils have some clay and the hole will stay open, you probably will be alright. If you have plain sand, do not eeven think about it. It is hard to keep the ground from sloughing.

The hardest part, except for the finishing details, is getting the excavation the correct shape. Since you are doing a rectangle, you might be better off.

Would I try it myself? Nope. Have had two opportunities and have yet to work up the courage.

Phil
tbmoore
Astrea snail

Post by tbmoore »

Not to hurt your feelings but I think you would be making a very big mistake.....go ahead and spend the money and have it done right. This would be part of your house and you can't just drag it to the street and start over....being kinda handy does not cut it with a project like that. if it is a liner pool then if it does not fit exactly right then it will float....concrete pools can crack and what about water tables...pumps to keep the ground dry while you wk...your good back hole operators and concrete contractors are working for someone already....someone who uses them all the time .... you would be at the bottom of their list....if they are available there is more than likely a reason. All in all do it yourself pools look like do it yourself pools and will hurt the resale of your house...bottom line some jobs are best left to the people that do it for a living....I think this is one of them....JMO
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

tbmoore wrote:bottom line some jobs are best left to the people that do it for a living....I think this is one of them....JMO
Exactly.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
KrazyPlace
Astrea snail

Post by KrazyPlace »

If you do try this yourself and need a drinking buddy give me a call! I'm good at heckling! :wink: <that wasn't a volunteer to work... you understand?>
Wind me up!
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

too late, you're on the list!!!!

muwahahahahaha

Oh yeah, as an update, we're still gonna do it, I'm pretty firm about it at this point... we're still shopping our mortgage, but should be done in a day or so, then takes however long to close (week, 2 weeks)... then I order the kit!!!
-Josh Murrah