Mobile Mayor does a good thing

Off Topic Discussion - Chat about anything, just keep it fairly clean.

Moderator: snoopdog

Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

It is a sorely misunderstood breed. They are bred to be more aggressive to other dogs--obviously what they were originally meant to fight. Simultaneously, they intended for these dogs to be ever more loyal to their human owners. If raised properly (i.e., not raised to be aggressive toward people), they actually have an even more peaceful disposition toward people than many other breeds (i.e. some terriers especially). You state that they have a higher incidence of attacks on people, yet that does not account for the attitude (and ulterior motives) of the vast majority of people who get them/breed them. They intend for them to be mean and aggressive--they like them that way and they think that is how they should be. If these dogs are raised how they should be, they are amazingly tolerant, peaceful dogs.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

I have to say, that's been my experience as well. I think it's like anything else, the bad news overshadows the good. I guess it's just not "news" to show the loyal family dog stuff. :D
donkeyclubmember
Amoeba

Post by donkeyclubmember »

I heard Pitts were a good breed.....

with a side of mac and cheese. :-)
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”- Jeremiah 29:11
Amyjoe
Hermit Crab

Post by Amyjoe »

Something else- if you think about it is you only hear about the "attacks" that happen with the more aggressive breeds. All breeds bite and all dogs can bite, the incidents you hear about are the ones that occur that are the most vicious attacks....

CBS

When The Dog Bites

NEW YORK, July 11, 2002

About 4.7 million people are bitten by dogs each year. One million of those need medical attention. About 750,000 children are bitten by dogs each year; in most cases, these bites are from "familiar dogs" -- not strays. Approximately 12 people die each year from dog bites

All dogs can be provoked to bite. There is really no such thing as a "bad breed." Most (if not all) dogs can be properly trained and socialized to be gentle and tolerant. Your dog should be trained to obey basic commands: sit, stay, come, and down. This alone could prevent many dog-biting incidents.

Potentially aggressive breeds:

* Llasa Apso: can be cranky with kids
* Toy poodles: bite out of self defense
* Dachsunds: not very patient
* Rhodesian Ridgebacks: very dominant breed
* Miniature Pinschers: "big dog" mindset in little body
* Pekinese: intolerant
* Chihuahuas: prefer adults, not tolerant of kids
* Chow Chow: one-person dogs, bite without warning
* Giant Schnauzers: very dominant breed, will even challenge adults
* Old English Sheep Dog: very protective of owner
* Cocker Spaniel: very protective of owner
* Rottweilers: very protective

Typically gentle breeds that have "bad boy" reputations:

* German Shepherd: great with kids
* Bulldog: gentle, playful
* Rottweilers: can be gentle, affectionate
* Great Danes: gentle, affectionate
* Boxers: good with kids
* Mastiffs-very docile

"Pit bull" is a bit of a misnomer. There really is no such breed. Generally, "pit bulls" are a cross between a "bulldog" breed and a terrier. They are also known as American Pit Bull Terriers, American Staffordshire Terriers, and Staffordshire Bull Terriers.

Most "pit bulls" are not aggressive by nature. They tend to be gentle, playful and loving. However, there are those that have been bred and trained to be aggressive. Even then, they are more aggressive toward other animals, not people.

Often, aggressive "pit bulls" have been abused and/or neglected. These are VERY dangerous.
I can say from experience since I work in the medical field in three years I have seen many dog bites and only 2 bad pitt bull bites.. 1 that I helped take care of one that 1 didn't. They were both "family" dogs and they had been raised with the kids but seeing the families I can only guess how they were raised. I see dog bites every week sometimes multiple times a day. Most of the bites we see are mixed breed lab type dogs and then most of those are from the areas that I would sound very very biased if I named. But most are from lower socio-economic areas of Mobile and are probably 50/50 black and white.... Both of the bad cases I mentioned with Pitt Bulls were small white kids, under 5- both of those went to surgery and are the only two cases that I personally have seen that went to surgery. Not a good defense for the Pitt Bulls but if you could have seen the families it would reinforce that some people should have to have licenses to be aloud to breed themselves not just to own a dog. I see this from a different perspective than most people because I am nurse but I do not blame the dogs in most cases- each case is different but most of the bites are dogs who have just had puppies and/or are chained or running loose unsupervised. I have owned many types of dogs including a Pitt Bull mix, the only one that bit was an Eskimo Spit's and it didn't have to be provoked to do it, it was just a mean little @#()%$*.

Again take my opinion for it is what it is "an opinion".
Wonder what it is going to take to get a bigger tank?????
SaltnLime
Chromis

Post by SaltnLime »

I would agree with those statistics.........there are alot of dogs that bite more redily than a pit... But as I was sayig before.. most dogs generally just bite and back off....you give a poodle a well placed boot and you can get him off your kid rather easily. No so easly with a pissed off pit terrier.

So in all, not reallly any more likely to bite...if raised porpoerly...just more dangerous when they attack all out (in my opinion.) Not just because of thier size and muscle mass...but because you can't ignore the fact that they were bred to fight other animals and to win....

You also won't have as many dog bite situations with pit bulls and other large breeds IMO as people are mostly afraid of the breed and steer well clear of them...... like rattle snakes. Not many people hanging over an unknown fence saying... "come here my little puppy, let me pet you.......". If you own a Pitt or Rot you know what I mean.
"Well......maybe I did get alittle carried away! "
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

You have to take into consideration the dog breeders as well. Some people just see how much they're selling for and breed the hell out of the dog to make a buck. And we're talking about pretty much the same people. I really wish dog breeding had to be regulated, but I know that's a pretty ridiculous idea. :) Most responsible breeders are mighty particular about who they sell puppies to (and kittens); talk about feeling "scrutinized". I would be just as bad, so I can't say anything. :)

You know, when I was a kid I thought that Chihuahuas were the most evil animal alive. I've learned to be a bit more open in my opinion, but will definately agree with the comment made about them. Good post.
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

that some people should have to have licenses to be aloud to breed themselves not just to own a dog.
AMEN TO THAT! :)

On what Salt-n-Lime said... remember the bull vs porcipine pictures that floated around a while back? How many other breeds could / would do that? I know my poor dog would stick himself one time and come running like a baby back to me. Our dogs weigh a lot more than any pit, but you'd be a lot better off if they attacked you than a pit type.

To me all the synapses are not firing or something is just not right in a dog that does something like this. This is a bull-mastiff I think, but pretty close in the family.
Image Image
- A wookie is nothing more than three ewoks duct taped together.
Amyjoe
Hermit Crab

Post by Amyjoe »

OMG that is awful....
Wonder what it is going to take to get a bigger tank?????
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

Geez....so did they put that dog down or sedate him and pull all those quills out?
GermanShepherdGirl
Copepod

Post by GermanShepherdGirl »

HOLY CRAP!!! :shock:
-Kristyn
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

I think the dog actually turned out ok, a little more scared up , but I've read the dog is doing just fine.
- A wookie is nothing more than three ewoks duct taped together.
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

Don't you feel sorry for the person for the one who had to pull those quills out, those things have a big ol' barb on them. Must have had that dog on a helluva antibiotic run. :) Glad he's doing ok.