New freshwater tank

Off Topic Discussion - Chat about anything, just keep it fairly clean.

Moderator: snoopdog

Guardfather
Amoeba

New freshwater tank

Post by Guardfather »

I've just gotten back into keeping fish. I have aquired a 55 long and can probably handle most of any problems that show up. But in the event I can't help myself, whom among us has freshwater tanks, where do you post, and can I you ask for help?

Thanks,
Keefus
Captain Barbosa: "The code is more what you call "guidelines" than actual rules. Welcome aboard the Black Pearl, Ms Turner."
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

I have a neglected planted freshwater tank that I am just now getting back to speed. I guess you can post on off-topic or pm me. Sue has an extremely nice freshwater planted tank and could also help you (probably more with plants than I can, if that is what you are trying to do). Rin (NM354) also has a freshwater planted tank (just now getting it to speed, like me), so he could help also. I am sure there are others out there, as well.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
armouredcat
Amoeba

Post by armouredcat »

Yeah, I chickened out on my 29 gal. salt water tank and went back with fresh water. So now I have the 2 fresh water tanks. Maybe we could coax the powers that be to open a fresh water forum.
Guardfather
Amoeba

Post by Guardfather »

I have considered live plants, but am not sure about taking care of them and the fish. I've heard it's a delicate balance. So, I'm installing undergravel filters and powerheads which will settle that problem.
Captain Barbosa: "The code is more what you call "guidelines" than actual rules. Welcome aboard the Black Pearl, Ms Turner."
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

Planted tanks arent too bad, this is one case where smaller tanks do better without fuss than the bigger ones. You really do have to get into the whole CO2 addition thing with larger, higher light plants; it's not bad once it gets established. But it's a pain to get it there. :D

Undergravel filters are generally not a good way to go with plants, as they rely on the waste that settles to the bottom for food. You could always get some low light plants and give it a try, cryptocornes, etc.

What kind of fish are you going to put in it? And you can always ask questions. :)
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

armouredcat wrote:Yeah, I chickened out on my 29 gal. salt water tank and went back with fresh water. So now I have the 2 fresh water tanks. Maybe we could coax the powers that be to open a fresh water forum.
The only problem with this, which has been asked before is people having to view the freshwater forum. The solution would be that only certain members could see said forum, but then that introduces the problem that it would never be used. The real thing is that since this is a reef forum, people with freshwater tanks would not frequent the threads. Creating another section for this is extremely easy to do, only takes seconds but the vast majority would not want to scroll around the topics.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

sb1227 wrote:CO2
From what I understand that is the "key" to a freshwater planted tank. I am curious, do you use RO/DI in your freshwater tank. I remember years ago that I hated the lime buildup on the freshwater equipment, I guess RO water might solve that ?
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

No, I don't use RO water. I know a couple who do, but it's really more trouble than it's worth for me. Our water is a little bit softer than some, but the general hardness is a little high. I usually keep some peat in a filter bag to soften it more, and always use driftwood which will also soften it over time. I just use tap water run thru a Pur filter.

CO2 is a big issue in larger tanks and especially high light tanks. I guess the hardest thing is maintaining the GH/KH/CO2 balance. It's kind of odd, but my smaller 30-40 gallon tanks did just fine with plants and no CO2. The Ph was always low (6.4-6.6). The 90 is the opposite and doesn't seem to be changing even as it ages. I can barely keep the Ph at 7.2 even with the CO2, and when the power goes off for more than a couple of hours it jumps up to 7.8. Maybe I need way more wood in such a big tank. :)

I havent had trouble with lime deposits, but I'd say if it was bad enough I might have to rethink the whole RO thing. And I would definately use it if I lived in Gulf Shores, that water is pretty nasty.
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

In my honest opinion, I think that anyone who uses RO/DI water for freshwater planted tanks is biting off more than they can chew (of course, unless they absolutely have to due to their water). Most of the area water isn't THAT bad, and most of the more common plants available do just fine with it. I don't think most plant 'enthusiasts' really want to reconstitute the water every time they use it. Heck, I have to do that with my tap water, anyway. Besides some added phosphate (which is good in my case), I have NOTHING in my tap water. 0 KH and 0 GH. If you have hard to keep plants or discus, my tap water is a blessing--for CO2 rich planted tanks, it is a curse.
Andrew

sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

I used to live close to the water treatment plant, needless to say the phosphate levels were incredible. It took me forever to understand why I couldn't do anything with the "swamp" :lol: Hell, You couldn't even see the fish thru all that "green". It was less than 2 weeks after moving out here the water was clear.

Now the nutrient balance nightmare is another thing, I drove myself insane trying to get everything close to what was recommended... :roll:

Now it's pretty easy...a little potassium, a little Phosphorus....finally have enough nitrates to not add that, and tons of iron. Trace elements only bring algae problems. I don't really sweat it so much anymore, although I do water changes every week or two. I took some time to remind myself aquariums were supposed to be fun and relaxing. :lol:

BTW, here's a little pic of the Hottonia palustris (it's grown alot since this pic)
Attachments
plants.jpg
plants.jpg (77.33 KiB) Viewed 3147 times
NM354
Copepod

Post by NM354 »

My plant tank has been up for over a year but just recently have i added CO2. Before my pH was regularly at 8.2 and i was having horrible algea problems. I am still trying to figure out exactly how much suplements i need to add and how offten but everything seems to be doing much better. I just trimmed up everything yesterday and did my weekly water change so when the lights come back on i will take a picture.
NM354
Copepod

Post by NM354 »

here you are
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

I never could keep plants, I wonder if the CO2 would had helped. Are premium freshwater tanks still not as clear as our saltwater cousins ? In the past this has always been the case.
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

sb1227 wrote:I used to live close to the water treatment plant, needless to say the phosphate levels were incredible. It took me forever to understand why I couldn't do anything with the "swamp" :lol: Hell, You couldn't even see the fish thru all that "green". It was less than 2 weeks after moving out here the water was clear.

Now the nutrient balance nightmare is another thing, I drove myself insane trying to get everything close to what was recommended... :roll:

Now it's pretty easy...a little potassium, a little Phosphorus....finally have enough nitrates to not add that, and tons of iron. Trace elements only bring algae problems. I don't really sweat it so much anymore, although I do water changes every week or two. I took some time to remind myself aquariums were supposed to be fun and relaxing. :lol:

BTW, here's a little pic of the Hottonia palustris (it's grown alot since this pic)
Sigh, I made the unfortunate mistake of blasting my shallow little 40 gallon with light, so I add a TON of phosphorus, a TON of nitrogen (and the potassium paired with them, KNO3, KH2SO4) and a TON of iron. It is insane how much the tank can soak up. I think I am adding around 50 ppm of NO3, 10 ppm of PO4, and god knows how much iron every week. Message for anyone setting up a tank with plants--start out nice and SLOW.

Pic looks great. I have always liked Hottonia palustris, but mine died when I neglected the tank. I may have to get some from you some day :D . That Heteranthera zosterifolia still going strong? At one point, I even had Mayaca fluviatilis and Eusteralis stellata (man, was the Eusteralis a handful)--all gone now :( . I am definitely going to have to build back up again, but it should be fun.
snoopdog wrote:I never could keep plants, I wonder if the CO2 would had helped. Are premium freshwater tanks still not as clear as our saltwater cousins ? In the past this has always been the case.
Some added CO2 almost always helps. Not sure what you mean by 'clear'. Mine runs crystal clear, even without filtration--just as clear or clearer than my saltwater tank.
Andrew

sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

That Heteranthera zosterifolia still going strong?
Yep, it's one of the ones I occasionally have to take out by the bucketful, it tends to overgrow and get a little leggy. As far as the nutrients, I think I could add iron in a steady drip and it wouldn't be enough. :lol:
I tend to go by growth and health, if I added any more I don't think I could keep up with the growth. I tend to test occasionally for nitrates and add nitrogen accordingly, for the first year and a half I couldn't get any nitrates to show and added a bunch. It's just now where I rarely add it. I guess I add Potassium and iron more than anything.

I don't have any trouble with the water being clear either, I am a little bad about cleaning the front glass though. I have two Eheim 2217 filters on it, which is probably why I finally have nitrates. Good water flow from the spray bars on them though. The poor little Ottocinclus keep busy with that glass. :lol: