What types of tanks do you have?

Off Topic Discussion - Chat about anything, just keep it fairly clean.

Moderator: snoopdog

Poll ended at Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:13 am

Saltwater only
64%
Freshwater only
7%
Saltwater and Freshwater
29%

Total votes: 14

NM354
Copepod

Post by NM354 »

With the interest in the freshwater thread I thought I would find out what most people have.
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

I suppose I had to have the best of both worlds ;)
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
GermanShepherdGirl
Copepod

Post by GermanShepherdGirl »

I had freshwater tanks growing up. Now that I have saltwater, I find fresh water tanks a little boring. They are not as colorful and with saltwater it's fun to find a new creature that you didn't know you had!
-Kristyn
Guardfather
Amoeba

Post by Guardfather »

55 long freshwater. Just recently got it established. Have not added livestock yet. I'm thinking I wanna use ghost shrimp to cycle it and set up the atmo. Then I'm thinkin' sharks.

Thoughts??
Captain Barbosa: "The code is more what you call "guidelines" than actual rules. Welcome aboard the Black Pearl, Ms Turner."
Suziq21
Amoeba

Post by Suziq21 »

I too had FW growing up and I've thought about a planted tank lately.
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Guardfather wrote:55 long freshwater. Just recently got it established. Have not added livestock yet. I'm thinking I wanna use ghost shrimp to cycle it and set up the atmo. Then I'm thinkin' sharks.

Thoughts??
Well, if you had a bigger tank, I would have recommended a school of 5 or so Bala sharks (Balantiocheilos melanopterus). Most of the other 'sharks' get even larger or more belligerent toward each other and other fish. Some would even need hundreds of gallons to do well (and are even frequently considered sport fishes). May want to look into something else like the Roseline shark/barb (Puntius denisonii). They reach about 6" and look really good. The downside--they are a bit expensive at around $20, give or take.
Andrew

sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

Bala Sharks are beautiful fish though. It's really a shame that they do get so aggressive. They would be outstanding in a large tank.

Those Puntius denisonii are sweet! Almost a minnow style body. Could be very cool. :) I've never had a chance to have any barbs, but I do like them, except for the green ones. These are fairly new in the trade arent they? Hard to get around here still?

20 dollars isn't so bad for a great fish....

Keefus: What is the ph of the water you're using? Sometimes that's a help in deciding what type of fish to keep.
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

sb1227 wrote:Bala Sharks are beautiful fish though. It's really a shame that they do get so aggressive. They would be outstanding in a large tank.

Really? I have never known these guys to get aggressive at all (even the giant ones). They can be clumsy and spook other fish from what I have seen, though. Maybe you got a bad batch :D
sb1227 wrote: Those Puntius denisonii... are fairly new in the trade arent they? Hard to get around here still?

20 dollars isn't so bad for a great fish....
Actually, we get them in with fair regularity at the store (at least we do now). I believe we first began to get them in about 6 months ago, so yes, definitely new. $20 isn't bad, but some people wince at the pricetag of these wonderful fish, especially when getting more than one.
Andrew

sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

Really? I have never known these guys to get aggressive at all (even the giant ones). They can be clumsy and spook other fish from what I have seen, though. Maybe you got a bad batch
Well, now I'm dissapointed. Obvious misinformation. I haven't ever considered them because I understood them to be aggressive tank fish, actually from more than one source. But when I looked them up, your right, the descriptions from most are they are peaceful but can be jumpers. But, I generally have densely planted tanks, and assume they like a little swimming room.

At least now I can consider them. :lol: Someday.
Guardfather
Amoeba

Post by Guardfather »

Great information guys ... Thanks alot. I like the idea of the Puntius denisonii. 20 bucks isn't my favorite price, but I can one or two at a time. I had Tiger Barbs with my first tank years ago, I liked them and may try some more for color, if they'll get along with the sharks.

I don't know my PH yet. I haven't gotten a test kit. I thought about planted tank, but then installed under gravel filters and powerheads which ruined that possibility.

What store Amphiprion?

Thanks again everyone.
Captain Barbosa: "The code is more what you call "guidelines" than actual rules. Welcome aboard the Black Pearl, Ms Turner."
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Guardfather wrote:Great information guys ... Thanks alot. I like the idea of the Puntius denisonii. 20 bucks isn't my favorite price, but I can one or two at a time. I had Tiger Barbs with my first tank years ago, I liked them and may try some more for color, if they'll get along with the sharks.

I don't know my PH yet. I haven't gotten a test kit. I thought about planted tank, but then installed under gravel filters and powerheads which ruined that possibility.

What store Amphiprion?

Thanks again everyone.
B&B. If you decide to come in, ask for me (Andrew), Rin (NM354), or James (reefman8471) (though James isn't available in the store often) and one of us will help you out. We may have P. denisonii in now, but I am not sure--661-3474 is the number. Just ask for 'rose line sharks' and not P. denisonii, because I highly doubt if anyone else will know what that is.
sb1227 wrote:
Really? I have never known these guys to get aggressive at all (even the giant ones). They can be clumsy and spook other fish from what I have seen, though. Maybe you got a bad batch
Well, now I'm dissapointed. Obvious misinformation. I haven't ever considered them because I understood them to be aggressive tank fish, actually from more than one source. But when I looked them up, your right, the descriptions from most are they are peaceful but can be jumpers. But, I generally have densely planted tanks, and assume they like a little swimming room.

At least now I can consider them. :lol: Someday.
Same here. I would like to have them, but I would need a 60" tank to keep them :( ,so that is out for now.
Andrew

donkeyclubmember
Amoeba

Post by donkeyclubmember »

my bowl
Attachments
home-depot-790275.jpg
home-depot-790275.jpg (17.34 KiB) Viewed 3413 times
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”- Jeremiah 29:11
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

I knew that was coming. :lol:

Took you long enough. :P
Guardfather
Amoeba

Post by Guardfather »

donkeyclubmember wrote:my bowl
Such a nice tank too.

Me too sb1227 ... I've been waiting for it.