Congress

Off Topic Discussion - Chat about anything, just keep it fairly clean.

Moderator: snoopdog

sb1227
Astrea snail

Congress

Post by sb1227 »

I truly think that congress did this country, it's people and it's constitution a great disservice today. I find it hard to believe that anyone would allow this president to define torture when he can't define (or use) most simple words. Incredible.

http://www.truthout.org/docs_2006/092806D.shtml
Frostbte
Amoeba

Post by Frostbte »

disservice....
I would have used a more harsh term myself.
It's all fun and games till someone loses an eye, then it fun and games without depth perception.
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

I was trying to be polite....what I was thinking was a different matter. :P
Guardfather
Amoeba

Post by Guardfather »

Congress and the Senate have always had their own agendas. Freedom, American People, Rights & Fairness, The US Constitution ... Have little meaning in either of those houses.
Captain Barbosa: "The code is more what you call "guidelines" than actual rules. Welcome aboard the Black Pearl, Ms Turner."
Frostbte
Amoeba

Post by Frostbte »

Guardfather wrote:Freedom, American People, Rights & Fairness, The US Constitution ... Have little meaning in either of those houses.
The real problem is that far more people have no idea what any of those things are and that they mean nothing to the general populace. The problem extends far beyond Washington D.C.
It's all fun and games till someone loses an eye, then it fun and games without depth perception.
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

I have to agree. I think this is much...much...bigger than people seem or care to realize. I believe it's important to know what's going on in this country, for anyone who believes what this country stands for. A beligerent, arrogant leader coupled with the apathy of it's people will quickly degrade how the country itself is viewed by the rest of the world. I read an interesting editorial by Mark LeVine that asked some pertinant questions:
Could it be that our blessed Constitution, one of the greatest documents ever penned by woman or man, is no longer capable of guaranteeing the truths that since the Declaration have been self-evident? Surely the present combination of unparalleled corporate power and greed, a messianic, divinely appointed president, and a citizenry lulled into complacency by decades of unconstrained consumption, presents among the greatest challenges ever to our Constitutional system.

Or perhaps the situation is, as I fear, even worse than this. Perhaps we, Americans, no longer hold the truths enshrined in the Declaration of Independence - "that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness" - to be so self-evident. How else to explain the nearly complete acquiescence of our society to this new law, and to all the abuses, from the launching of a disastrous war on demonstrably false pretenses, to torture and indefinite detention, unending occupation, unconstitutional eavesdropping, and other betrayals of our founding ideals, that have led up to its passage last week?