Toshiba dead?

Off Topic Discussion - Chat about anything, just keep it fairly clean.

Moderator: snoopdog

Brian
Amoeba

Toshiba dead?

Post by Brian »

Hey snoop, I have a Toshiba Satellite M35X-S149. I am sure you have heard of the problem they have with the power jack. I replaced the power jack but now I have another problem. When I press the power button the lights flash and then go out. I was wanting to ask you if you knew of a way I could test the motherboard to know if it is bad or not? Any suggestions?
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

Sounds like you do not have the jack installed properly. Who did the soldering ?

Other possibility is something was not put back together properly or the board was damaged during the soldering. Laptop motherboards are normally multi-layer boards and easy to damage by overheating the solder joints during jack replacement. It is a shame, that laptop is not really that old either. I have never worked on that Toshiba model, I got out of business product repair before that one came out but on a side note I have done about 30 Toshiba jack replacements.

Jacks on every laptop have problems. It is critical to never put weight on the jack like leaning the laptop backwards, etc. I would be glad to look at it, I have a lot of days off next week.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
Brian
Amoeba

Post by Brian »

We have a guy at work that solders on some system boards. I am not sure of his skills but I trusted him more than me since he has been doing it 5 years. If you do not mind looking at it and telling me what you think. Would you prefer me to pull the board out or leave it all together?
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

Probably leave it together.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
Brian
Amoeba

Post by Brian »

Ok, well just let me know when and where and I will bring it to you and leave it. I really appreciate you looking at it. The solder joints do look like crap after I checked them.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

I have some side-work tomorrow but I am sure I can get to it sometime tomorrow. I will PM you with my cell phone number.
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

Still working ?
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
Brian
Amoeba

Post by Brian »

Still working great. I have been using it for my GPS on my trip to Atlanta today and it worked flawlessly.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

Coolness.
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.