Windows Vista

Off Topic Discussion - Chat about anything, just keep it fairly clean.

Moderator: snoopdog

sb1227
Astrea snail

Windows Vista

Post by sb1227 »

What do you think? Waste of time or worth it? I'm not planning to switch any time soon, too expensive and a big pain.

Seems like every new program takes so much memory it almost silly. You have to start out with a ridiculous amount of memory just to be able to run the basic stuff.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

Absolutely wait. If you do not have a brand new machine that is "beefy" then wait. The pricing scheme is absolutely retarded. They totally rewrote the TCP/IP stack and that in itself is going to be a hacker's wet dream. Many people stayed with Windows 2000 when XP came out and this time even more people will be staying with XP.

IMO wait for the smoke to clear, maybe even wait for the first service pack to come out. I may use it soon because that is what I do and I absolutely have to know it for a service standpoint and I am not looking forward to it. Also keep in mind the recommendations on the video card for when you replace your computer. The Aero Glass effects take a ton of video power to render.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

The new computer is Vista capable. I thought the whole issue with Vista was the security stuff it had. So in order to run Vista and play any game you'll need what a 1gb video card before long? Are they to that point yet?

It just seems a little silly. I think my first computer had a whopping 16mb of memory.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

Vista has new eye-candy called Aero Glass, basically 3D windows. To have this enabled takes around a 256mb-512mb video card. Vista in itself is a hog with memory and HD space, way more demanding that XP was. Yes Vista is supposed to be more secure but there again why is the corporate world scared of it, you tell me that answer ?

"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

:lol: Not surprised, just thought that was the big selling point with it. I think I'll stick with the plain ol' graphics on XP.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

I would rather run fast with less eye candy, speed means more to me. Of course I spend a lot of time at the command prompt, that does not need to be pretty.
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

Ditto What snoop said... stay with what works unless it does something you absolutely need. Its way more trouble that it is worth at this point. Stability issues, security patches, etc.. ugh, who has the time for it :)
- A wookie is nothing more than three ewoks duct taped together.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

I used the beta for maybe 2 hours before I ditched it. Every time Vista accessed my sound card it popped up a message about my driver not being there new Unified Driver compatible.

I also noticed that it booted fast, faster than XP. But I also noticed the hard drive being accessed a lot after boot up. Supposedly there is a lot of pre-caching that takes place after boot up. This was not a little, we are talking 10 minutes after boot-up.

Nothing about the Beta blew my skirt up and impressed me enough for me to really on it as an OS at this point. I will wait till I can talk Amy out of the money for my new Core 2 Duo, and I think I will be waiting for a while. But as they say you have to spend some money to make some money. I have made enough off XP at this point to buy many new computers. Actually not really XP, XP+virus or XP+spyware wins the trophies in my book.

I think Vista will be a support money maker for techs. The users will need some serious support as new as this OS is and as complex as it is. I have been doing some reading about the techs themselves having major problems with compatibility with hardware and software so that is a good sign.
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
casey
Amoeba

Post by casey »

I just installed it and like it so far it is more stable than even XP which I loved,I wanted it because it is more shiny than Xp and I like shiny things LOL :D I did have to upgrade some drivers and my printers usb cable but other than that it has been great,will let you know more as I go along with it and discover how to use it all. :D
DrHank
Amoeba

Post by DrHank »

I really feel that it's just another way to get folks to buy Microsoft. If they don't come up with something new every 5 to 8 years they won't continue to make rediculous amounts of money. The world wants glitz and it seems get it with Vista. Unless you are a confirmed gamer or a CAD designer I don't know what's so great about it anyway. Maybe it does video better. I don't know.

I wouldn't even bother to consider upgrading unless I had a system with a dual core processor. Even then I'd wait for at least the first service pack to correct the initial bugs. It's really a shame that the public is more interested in making things look better than work better. :idea:
Doc :D
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

Waiting on the money for a Core 2 Duo also.
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.