90 Gallon Tank

Off Topic Discussion - Chat about anything, just keep it fairly clean.

Moderator: snoopdog

sb1227
Astrea snail

90 Gallon Tank

Post by sb1227 »

Finally. After losing everything after Ivan and completely redoing the tank, I had decided to go with a bunch of Cardinal Tetras. They are odd but beautiful schooling fish, the problem is getting enough of them that are healthy (and that's a challenge) that will form a big enough school to come out of hiding. So far (Even though Michelle has desperately trying to get some from the good supplier) we only have 5 in the tank. So basically there has been one small Killifish that actually comes out to visit and no fish to be seen to speak of in that tank. I know they're in there, catch a glimpse of them at feeding time and in the morning, but it's been a little ridiculous. :)
We finally decided to put a few Congo (lovely and peaceful fish that get fairly large for tetras 3-5") Tetras in the other day. We had debated on whether to go with them for a long time, as we lost the breeding ones we had when we lost the tank. Added 5 of them, a couple of males and some females. They're still a bit skittish but starting to come out a little more, I'll try to get a pic when they get comfortable.
It's just so nice to actually SEE a few fish in that big ol' tank full of plants. :) We're still going to add a bunch of Cardinals, if they ever come in.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

Must have ....... pictures.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

What he said :) . I just trimmed mine backthe other day--lo and behold, I actually have fish!!! So how many fish do you actually have in that tank? It doesn't sound like you have very many anymore. I actually think mine is a little overstocked.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

I'm not sure, really. :lol: I think there are a couple of Corydoras Robinae and Sterbai each, one lone Lemon Tetra (who has spent months convincing himself he really IS a Cardinal), about 5 Cardinals, 2 Ottocinclus and the friendly Killifish. I can say, the Lemon has certainly been glad to see someone his own size. :D
Still, to look at that tank, you wouldn't know there was any fish in there....till now. The Congos are young, just starting to show their color, but still fairly small. They are flashy though, once they get comfortable they'll be out more. We could still easily do enough Cardinals to get a good school. Till then, it's pretty much a mix of shoalers.

I'll try to get a pic next weekend when I have time. They should be showing off a bit more by then.
StoneFish
Amoeba

Post by StoneFish »

About 10 years ago, I had a planted with about 60 cardinals. Bill was bringing in those baby cardinal and selling them 4/$1. Most all of them lived, but after a while they stopped schooling and there were just cardinals hanging out everywhere.
DrHank
Amoeba

Post by DrHank »

Sue, maybe try adding 5 zebra danios. They will cause such a stir that it will scare everything back into schooling mode. :lol:

Seriously, are you sure a killifish and cardinal tetras is a good idea? Sounds like killifish chow to me. It's been a long time since I've done any freshwater but isn't the killifish an african fish that are predators and the tetras south american fish food? :D
Doc :D
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

Ditto that.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

That would depend upon the killifish. Sue probably has Aplocheilid killies, which are usually small in general (some exceptions here) and would hardly be a threat to the cardinals. The only thing they can eat are small insects, worms, and crustaceans. These are the small colorful (sometimes rare and expensive) species that show up from time to time. I don't know how the smaller ones could get cardinal anywhere near their mouths. Fundulid killies are probably what you are thinking of, since those are the ones you can find around here, as well. Many of them get much larger and is the family of the familiar big ones around here, as well. I mean, with the little killies, we are talking 2.25 inches at the most, with cardinals being right at an inch.
Andrew

sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

Yep, little bitty guy. Fundulopanchax Gardneri, one of the Aphysemions. I had a couple of pair in there, there may still be all of them, but he's the only one that comes up say hi. The aren't even close to big enough to eat anything more than a fry, they could probably handle small FW shrimp though. I do like to think he's helping keep my snail population down. :)
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

Had to think there for a minute. If my old recollection still works :lol: a friend of mine recommended them, they are the semi-annual Killies and live from 2-4 years, and scatter eggs around plant leaves. A couple of them (I can't remember what the exact name of them was, but they were also Fundulopanchax) got quite a bit bigger, in mass. They always reminded me of a whale, very beefy fish. Fortunately they never bothered any of the fish in the tank. They were quite small whan I got them from a breeder...somewhere. They like basically the same conditions as the South American Tetras, soft, acidic water. So he'll live out his little life in there, but I don't think I'll get any after this. They are interesting fish though.
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

Here's a pic of the new fish......don't see 'em? That's because they've hidden themselves in the jungle just like the rest of them. Good grief. They're in there....we see them....just not often. I guess I can't blame them really. Just like home.
Attachments
90gal 07.jpg
90gal 07.jpg (83.34 KiB) Viewed 4644 times
DrHank
Amoeba

Post by DrHank »

Definately a plant tank!!! Why bother with fish that you can't see? I think that I may be missing the point. There is a point, isn't there?! :? I'm sure I missed the point! :roll:
Doc :D
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

Um......they...in their own way feed the plants? That's all I can come up with, although it would be cheaper to just add more plant food. :P
Michelle
Amoeba

Post by Michelle »

Just had to pop in for a second, that tank is gorgeous. I don't see nearly enough well-kept planted tanks these days ;)
Thanks!
Michelle @ Fat Fish
28851 N. Main St., Ste. D
Daphne, AL 36526
251-626-0926
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

A lot better kept than mine :D . Everything is so overgrownin mine, it just looks like a big solid mass of plants in a clear box. Oh well, I'll get to it sometime. Looks great, Sue.
Andrew