Networking issue

Off Topic Discussion - Chat about anything, just keep it fairly clean.

Moderator: snoopdog

Phisher
Hermit Crab

Networking issue

Post by Phisher »

We seem to be having a network issue here at home. We have 3 pc's on a wired network sharing printers and an internet connection. Last Saturday when I came in here my pc looked to have restarted from a power flicker or something. None of the pc's could get online after that. Called Bellsouth, they say no problems on their end and its a 3rd party router so they can't help with that.

Called router ppl, they talked me through a few tests and determined the "ping" was good and suggest I find some 3rd party help.

I played around with my network settings and was able to get limited internet to all pc's but some pages won't load and email wont work. Also printer only works on the hub pc.

Any ideas? I'm really pretty clueless about such things.

Joe
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

With all computer networking problems start from the source and go forward. When you find the stopping point then repeat the process with an adjacent computer.

You need to be able to duplicate the problem for troubleshooting so you will be able to find a resolution. With an intermittent problem that can make things worse. What I am saying here is this, is there a website you cannot get to consistently ? If so then write it down.

First off are you using DHCP or static I.P. addresses ?

Ping your own I.P. address.
Ping the router/gateway.
Ping an external address like MBRK which is 209.200.229.140

Now try to ping a host with the real name like www.mbrk.com does it resolve to the I.P. address ? Then that means your DNS is working.

If there are just particular websites that are not working then you may just be having a DNS issue which Bellsouth is known for flaky DNS servers. I am on Bellsouth and do not use there DNS servers. I think I use Sprint DNS servers.

SPRINT DNS SERVERS

Report back on what you find.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
Phisher
Hermit Crab

Post by Phisher »

First off are you using DHCP or static I.P. addresses ? I don't remember what the difference is but I using the one where the pcs choose automatically if that makes sense.

Ping your own I.P. address. 0% Loss
Ping the router/gateway. 0% Loss
Ping an external address like MBRK which is 209.200.229.140 0% Loss

Now try to ping a host with the real name like www.mbrk.com does it resolve to the I.P. address ? 0% Loss

Now that I think about it the sites we are having trouble with are the secure pages like email log in. I also could not get the Check out page for Marine Depot to load. I can post here but not on RC. Lastly my wifes computer is no longer receiving a signal from my printer.

Sorry if this is too vague to be helpful but I'm really out of my element here.

Joe
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

I would change my dns servers to the ones I listed and try again.

What type of error are you getting with email ?

Are you talking about Bellsouth mail or some type of webmail ?

I tried to post on Reefcentral a month ago and could not.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
Phisher
Hermit Crab

Post by Phisher »

I would change my dns servers to the ones I listed and try again.
I have no clue how to do this.

What type of error are you getting with email ?
No error message, page just won't load, just blank white page.
Are you talking about Bellsouth mail or some type of webmail ?
MSN Hotmail.
Phisher
Hermit Crab

Post by Phisher »

After a little more fittling I found I am using a DHCP.

I also was ablr to change the DNS servers to the ones you suggested but am still having the same problems.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

I will bet you are having MaxMtu issues. Only shows up with Bellsouth and only with some people. MSN is one of the websites that you will have a problem with.

Go to this website and read some.

http://www.ivorysky.com/index.php/2004/ ... e-Fix.html

Read this guys reply.

Comment from Mitch
You rule dude!!
Changed my Belkin router MaxMTU to 1450, and blam!! all secure sites and Windows Update back online.

Changed my VIA Network adapter to same also.

I wonder how many dudes and babes try to follow the MS help and get nowhere, when it's the MTU's man!!
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
Phisher
Hermit Crab

Post by Phisher »

Wow this really sounded like what was happening to me but I'm still having the same problem after downloading and adjusting the settings from that file.

I downloaded my Norton update and ran a full scan last night as well. It found 4 nasties but did not seem to help this immediate problem.

Joe
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

Did you run it for your main network card ??
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
Phisher
Hermit Crab

Post by Phisher »

Did a full system scan.