Maybe I'm just getting old

Off Topic Discussion - Chat about anything, just keep it fairly clean.

Moderator: snoopdog

sb1227
Astrea snail

Maybe I'm just getting old

Post by sb1227 »

But is it really necessary to have a computer with dual 768mb video cards? What IS the world coming to? :lol:

It might be silly but one of the best games I ever played was one that came out right when they started doing first person computer games, it was basically a dungeon crawl with 15 levels......I played that game for HOURS at a time. The graphics were bad, really, but the game rocked! Can't remember the name of it for the life of me........
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Sure it is necessary. Everybody knows extreme overkill is of paramount importance when it comes to technology :lol: . Besides, the newer machines have to keep up with the insanely detailed games they continue to make.

I don't really play many games anymore, but the few that I do fall back on occasionally are my old playstation games. I can always pull out Final Fantasy VII, VIII, or IX and know I am playing a damn good game--even if the graphics aren't considered state of the art anymore.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

Are you kidding ? This bad boy has quad SLI video cards.

"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

I agree with both of you. Content is WAY more important than video quality and FPS you get out of your system.

Many people have played Nethack for years, no graphics at all. Most people that have played a MUD love those way more than graphical games.

I am curious Sb1227, was that game Pools of Radiance ?
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

I think it was called "Stonekeep". When did "Pools of Radiance" come out? Seems like I got that game 10 years or so ago....

I'm a big D&D fan, so when "Pool of Radiance" came out I jumped on it. I think it was the newer release though. It's definately up there on the list of all time favorites. I have to admit when I got "Icewind Dale" I had to upgrade my old video card to the "new" 64mb card. :lol: Baldur's Gate is a good one too. Love them RPG's. :P

Quad??? Uh, I'm gonna go bang my head against the wall..
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

sb1227 wrote:When did "Pools of Radiance" come out? Seems like I got that game 10 years or so ago....
Actually it was 88, when I graduated High School. I have it on my dual floppy 80286 turbo 12mhz. They have made several release of the game since then, the last was in 2001.

Here is a complete list.
http://www.mobygames.com/game-group/poo ... nce-series
sb1227 wrote:I have to admit when I got "Icewind Dale" I had to upgrade my old video card to the "new" 64mb card. :lol: Baldur's Gate is a good one too. Love them RPG's. :P
Everyone of those games sucked me in. I love that genre of game, seems like those days are history though. I hope maybe when the teens move out I may have more time to devote.
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

Oooh, I didn't know about the Forgotten Realms Archives. Might have to look into that. It was the last one, Ruins of Myth Drannor, that I played.
It was one of the few I saw all the way thru and was dissapointed to see it end. :) Do you think they'd even play on the new computers since they are DOS based?

I remember playing "Companions of Xanth" in the early 90's, ridiculously cheesy game, but it was fun. The D&D based games were so much more in depth, not surprising.

I wonder if the older games were limited because they were all DOS based? Did they just have so many more options when they went with Windows?
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

sb1227 wrote:Do you think they'd even play on the new computers since they are DOS based?
http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/news.php?show_news=1
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
Guardfather
Amoeba

Post by Guardfather »

One word people ...

Wolfenstien

Nuff said!
Captain Barbosa: "The code is more what you call "guidelines" than actual rules. Welcome aboard the Black Pearl, Ms Turner."
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

The grenades were awesome.
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

I'll prob really show my age... Anyone remember Wizardry?

I think it was the 1st graphical 3dish (vector line drawings) dungeon crawl.

Never finished it, played it for a loonng time, floppy based :)
- A wookie is nothing more than three ewoks duct taped together.
Amyjoe
Hermit Crab

Post by Amyjoe »

Well Brandon I hate to say it, but I used to play Wizardry I.

I cannot remember which computer it was on, I want to say it was on my Apple IIe
Wonder what it is going to take to get a bigger tank?????
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

You have to admit, the fact that those games made/allowed you to actually USE imagination was one of the best points. I wonder if kids now have enough imagination to do that kind of game.....surely some of them would appreciate it, but I fear they are few and far between.

I wish I had known about all of the good games then, I didn't even know but one other person who even HAD a computer...got a few of them from him.
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

Amyjoe wrote:Well Brandon I hate to say it, but I used to play Wizardry I.

I cannot remember which computer it was on, I want to say it was on my Apple IIe
That was it AmyJoe.. but I played it on an IBM compat. Horrible, horrible graphics, but it was an indepth game. I think the graphics were 4-colors, maybe 16 on a CGA monitor.

Speaking of games... BioShock is very cool.
- A wookie is nothing more than three ewoks duct taped together.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

Sorry it was me, I guess I forget to log Amy at times :)
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.