New baby in the house

Off Topic Discussion - Chat about anything, just keep it fairly clean.

Moderator: snoopdog

sb1227
Astrea snail

New baby in the house

Post by sb1227 »

This is Mystra, a 5 month old Maine Coon.....with the attitude of a princess and the stubborness of a Pit Bull. :D She thinks she's a bad-a**.
Attachments
coon2.jpg
coon2.jpg (61.73 KiB) Viewed 5088 times
Mystra1.jpg
Mystra1.jpg (51.96 KiB) Viewed 5088 times
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

That is an incredible cat! Could you give us more background on the breed (or is it not the same species?)?
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

It's considered one of the oldest natural breeds in America, and one of the only native longhaired breeds. The term "gentle giant" really does apply to them. They get bigger than most cats, normal size is 9 to 12 pounds for females and 13 to 18 pounds for males, and the tail is supposed to be the same length as the shoulder-hip span. They tend to take quite a bit longer to mature, 3 to 5 years. I've seen some males get really huge. Mystra's mother was a bigger than normal female. I've always loved the wildness these cats show, much like a snow leopard in the head with the tufts on the ears. They have solid colors, but I'm more fond of the classic tabby markings. Both the Classic and Mackerel tabby stripes haven't been watered down at all. It's amazing how strong the stripe patterns are.
They have the best personality, in my opinion, as they've retained their sweetness and gentleness. They tend to talk more than just meow, it's more of a chirp or trill in very quiet tones. (She WILL make herself heard, though, when she has something to say). :lol: Very playful but rarely use their claws, and love to be up on stuff so people who don't want the cat on the counter would be in trouble. We call those cats "high-minded". :D Even as small as she is, ours certainly has no trouble getting up on counters. But then, she's a real thinker and puzzle solver and figures out a way pretty fast. Never met a stranger, either.

I've always been one for giving homes to the cats who need one, and haven't been much for buying one from a breeder considering the overpopulation issue. But I have always wanted a Maine Coon, and feel like I've adopted my share of the homeless, so we decided it wouldn't be unfair to get this kitten. Our 18 year old was lost to Cancer recently, and we needed a sensible female that could control and hold her own with the "boys" in the house. This one is perfect for it, and has really won over the youngest male. He's just happy to have some one to run and tumble with.
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

I just can't get over that cat :lol: That second pic has got to be one of the most personable ones I've ever seen. I can tell that one is a handful just by the looks of it--that face just has "attitude" written all over it. Looks like you'll have your work cut out for you :D.
Andrew

snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

I am sure you all have seen the infamous Maine Coon picture floating around emails and the internet.

"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

I have a puppy that needs a playmate. I know you saw him already Sue but here he is again.
Attachments
puppy2.jpg
puppy2.jpg (37.82 KiB) Viewed 5050 times
puppy4.jpg
puppy4.jpg (94.27 KiB) Viewed 5050 times
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Gorgeous Weimaraner! One of my favorite breeds--the steel colored coat and blue eyes are always a winner. That first pic is definitely a keeper.
Andrew

Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

He could use a big cat with claws to keep him in line right now. All he wants to do is play which is fine but our pomeranian just growls at him. He isn't too thrilled about the new addition.
Guardfather
Amoeba

Post by Guardfather »

snoopdog wrote:I am sure you all have seen the infamous Maine Coon picture floating around emails and the internet.

I actually had one these once. She was as big as this one, same color and was given to me by a friend. She got out of the house once and I never saw her again. This was back in the late 70s. Heavy ... OMG!!
Captain Barbosa: "The code is more what you call "guidelines" than actual rules. Welcome aboard the Black Pearl, Ms Turner."
Guardfather
Amoeba

Re: New baby in the house

Post by Guardfather »

sb1227 wrote:This is Mystra, a 5 month old Maine Coon.....with the attitude of a princess and the stubborness of a Pit Bull. :D She thinks she's a bad-a**.
Where did you get her and, if I may ask, what price did you pay. If you don't want to advertize that, will you PM me?

Thanks, Keefus
Captain Barbosa: "The code is more what you call "guidelines" than actual rules. Welcome aboard the Black Pearl, Ms Turner."
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

These breeds have gotten extremely popular.

You could always go with an Ashera, next time you have $28,000 burning a hole in your pocket.

http://lifestylepets.com/cats.html
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

I'm not sure I'm a fan of the long hair. I was looking at the Bengal cats at one time. They are rather expensive for a cat too when you can look in the news paper and see tons of kittens for free any day of the week.

We recently saw a weimaraner pup at petland for something like $1200, which was crazy. I got this one for $150 without papers. The breeder said she doesn't get papers much anymore because no one wants to pay for them.
Kart Racer
Copepod

Post by Kart Racer »

snoopdog wrote:These breeds have gotten extremely popular.

You could always go with an Ashera, next time you have $28,000 burning a hole in your pocket.

http://lifestylepets.com/cats.html
Snoop,

Go ahead and get one of them and let us know how they are. Very cool looking animal though. I bet you could walk that cat down the street and not have many people mess with you.
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

That silver Tabby is alot like one the breeder had. I freaked over that guy! Hopefully, she'll call in a couple of years, she's going to stud him and I can understand why, what an awesome cat and huge!
I'll tell you, I think this is one dangerously smart cat. When she wants to do something she sits and thinks till she figures out a way. :roll: Everybody here is downright tired of trying to outthink her.

Guardfather, I got her from a breeder just off of 98 in Lillian. The name is Purricoon I think. I can get her name and number to you, if you want. Most kittens I've found from any cattery were about 400-500 dollars, she was on the high end as they were considering keeping her for breeding.

How's the puppy doing, Drew? Other than lonely. :) Those dogs are so sweet, I would think they'd be great with a cat, but don't know from experience. I do know they're gentle with smaller dogs. I love to see the cat/dog relationships when they start young, it's pretty amazing. A friend once had a big, yellow Tabby and a Rottweiler and they were the best of friends...it was cool.

I would LOVE to see one of those Asheras, they look like they'd be real sleek. I need to take a closer look at that link, did it say anything about their personality? I am partial to really big cats, Maine Coons and Norwegian Forest Cats are both awesome. They have good attitudes too, that's a plus.
Guardfather
Amoeba

Post by Guardfather »