Blue Screen of Death?!

Off Topic Discussion - Chat about anything, just keep it fairly clean.

Moderator: snoopdog

Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Blue Screen of Death?!

Post by Amphiprion »

Well, this just suddenly managed to pop up on my brand new pc. The only thing that has changed anytime recently was an upgrade to Norton 360 v3.0 (which I hate, but v2.0 came with the pc). It suddenly said my wireless adapter was the cause. There was never a problem before this, either. I checked for updated drivers--none. I also updated the BIOS (of which HP never informed me of the new version like they were supposed to...). I even disabled Vista's wireless auto-tuning, since it said that it suspected that to be the problem. I also have a couple of diagnostic programs that I used and all hardware checks out just fine, including network adapters. Makes me wonder if the Norton was incompatible with one of the functions. Any ideas? Here's the breakdown from the error report:

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

Files that help describe the problem (some files may no longer be available)
Mini031609-01.dmp
sysdata.xml
Version.txt

View a temporary copy of these files
Warning: If a virus or other security threat caused the problem, opening a copy of the files could harm your computer.

Extra information about the problem
BCCode: d1
BCP1: 000000000000001C
BCP2: 0000000000000002
BCP3: 0000000000000000
BCP4: FFFFFA60032676CD
OS Version: 6_0_6001
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 256_1
Server information: 258adae9-a59f-492f-96c9-fdbe8d5ce9c2

I should add that I haven't seen it again since, but that doesn't mean it won't come back.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
BigPumper
Amoeba

Post by BigPumper »

There is your problem, you said "my brand new pc"

Pc's are noting but trouble. Take it back and get a mac. I've had mine for 2 years trouble free.
BigPumper
Amoeba

Post by BigPumper »

Oh, and by the way, any product made by norton SUCKS. Those anti virus programs suck, and will not remove or prevent a virus. AVG makes anti virus programs available for free that will walk circles around norton. :twisted:

And Vista sucks. It sucks up your ram.
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

BigPumper wrote:Oh, and by the way, any product made by norton SUCKS. Those anti virus programs suck, and will not remove or prevent a virus. AVG makes anti virus programs available for free that will walk circles around norton. :twisted:

And Vista sucks. It sucks up your ram.
Well, I say brand new, but I've had it for about 3.5 months. I'm getting a new antivirus/spyware, etc. program after the Norton expires. Again, the subscription came with it. I am afraid I won't be taking this one back. I've already done too many things to it, including adding a Core 2 Quad Extreme processor (not the i7) and 8 GB of DDR2 RAM. So RAM isn't an issue by any means. I guess I'm just aggravated that this thing suddenly BSoD'd on me already and I haven't really done anything to it. Internal temp is fine, fans are fine, memory has no errors, disk has no errors, can't find any broken drivers, all drivers are updated. I'm just at a loss to figure out what caused it to begin with. Again, it only happened once *knock on wood*, but I don't want it happening again, either.
Andrew

BigPumper
Amoeba

Post by BigPumper »

All bs aside, vista is scattered with bugs, it probably caused the problem.
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Yeah, there probably wasn't actually a problem from the start. Vista probably just bugged up. In any case, I'll just have to wait and see what happens, I guess.
Andrew

Brian
Amoeba

Post by Brian »

There are known issues with Norton 360 and Vista compatibility. Norton products are ok but I always recommend Panda to everyone.