CPU, heatsink, graphics card, and RAM FS

Off Topic Discussion - Chat about anything, just keep it fairly clean.

Moderator: snoopdog

Amphiprion
Astrea snail

CPU, heatsink, graphics card, and RAM FS

Post by Amphiprion »

I'm replacing my old ASUS motherboard that is trying to die on me and I was left with few alternatives other than to completely upgrade. It wouldn't have been worth getting another LG775 socket motherboard, since the only ones I could find didn't have the features I've been using, nor would it have allowed me to use all my devices. I ended up going with one of the new LG1155 socket motherboards (ASUS P8P67), Core i7 2600K processor, and 8 GB of DDR3-1600 RAM. At any rate, I do have the previous CPU, fan/heatsink, and RAM available from the old motherboard--I'm of course tossing the mobo itself, however.

CPU:
Intel Core2 Quad Q9650 "Yorkfield" @ 3.0 GHz; 95w LG775--This was run at stock speeds, as I never overclocked it. It rarely was used to its full potential, except for a few times when I was encoding videos. Asking $75 for it, negotiable.

Fan/Heatsink:
Coolermaster something--not entirely sure. It was a custom HP fan and heatsink that runs well and is fairly quiet. Not the absolute highest RPMs or anything, but it gets the job done--$10

RAM:
Dual Channel DDR2-400 4x 2 GB sticks (also run at stock speeds)--asking $40, negotiable.

GPU:
ATI Radeon HD 4850 256-bit PCI-e 2.0 x16; has 2 DVI outputs; supports DirectX 10.1 (compatible with DX11, but doesn't take full advantage of it)--ran it at stock speeds. One thing to note on this card and the whole series is that they run fairly warm--i.e. warmer than most. You can see this on most benchmarks. Asking $45, negotiable.

If anyone actually wants the motherboard, the reason I am getting rid of it is because it forgets the boot order when I shut down. I've replaced the CMOS battery, reset BIOS and CMOS, etc. without any luck. If anyone wants it for whatever reason, it is free to whomever asks. It has 6 SATA connectors; 6 USB 2.0 internal connectors; 4 rear USB ports; 3 PCI-e x1 slots and 2 PCI slots, along with 4 RAM slots, allowing for a max of 8 GB--2GB per slot. CPU socket LG775, of course.

So, not the latest and greatest, but if you are sitting on an old PC with just a dual core or something with a compatible socket type and a PCI-e x16 slot, you can get a nice upgrade for a little over $150, which is not too bad. PM me if anyone is interested or have compatibility questions. Otherwise I'm going to take the rest to eBay.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Re: CPU, heatsink, graphics card, and RAM FS

Post by snoopdog »

If I did not have a bunch of i7's now I would had jumped on this.

I still have the Core 2 9550 I bought from you for $175 in my wife's machine.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

I hear you on that. Glad to know that processor is still chugging along well. The Core 2 Quads were a decent series for sure.

I'm playing around with this i7 2700K now--it's been tricky for me, especially the heat. The second I try to overclock the thing, the temp skyrockets into seriously unacceptable ranges. I've tried nearly everything too, including a giant, bulky aftermarket cooler, multiple case fans, etc. In the end, I had to disable hyperthreading in the bios, which essentially turned the damn thing into an i5. Despite that, it wasn't a bad upgrade.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

I quit overclocking with the Intel Slot 1 Celeron 300a's, we would clock them to 450

I think that was the last good processor to overclock the hell out of safely.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate