some fire/brittleworm action, what do you think??

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

ShagMan
Goby

some fire/brittleworm action, what do you think??

Post by ShagMan »

OK, I setup a 5 gallon for a reef tank today.... I threw some rubble in, and when I came back a few hours later, here's what I found! ALL the bristle/fire worms are all out, and curled up in a circle... is this their way of showing extreme stress? They're all alive, but just stay on the sandbed all curled up..... here's a few pics.... in the first pic the worms mostly came out on the left, the 2nd pic is a closeup.

-Josh Murrah
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

That is not a good sign at all. When you see bristleworms or pods or anything cack it is under very bad conditions. If you dont already have Salifert test kits you need to get some and test everything.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

update: they mostly all died. It was a hastily put up tank, and I honestly didn't realize that I had THAT much life in that rubble, otherwise I would have acclimated... I think they died because the salinity was a tad too high, after I did some testing.... ah well :(
-Josh Murrah
harbingerofthefish
Copepod
Location: ^^Harbinger wishes he was way up here^^ - um...can we say abuse of power here?! and memphis, tn ;)

Post by harbingerofthefish »

ah, they were just bistle worms. My hitchhiker worms died off initiallt too. I actually went to B&B and had them take a scoop of that gravel from one of the top tanks just so I could add in some more, plus some of those mini-brittle stars. Talk about a crazy look from the sales guy...

anyways, at least you don't have to seed a cycle now ;)
"nothing is the matter, it don't matter what you think"