Potential For MAJOR Disaster

Discussion Of Local Group Meetings For the Baldwin County and Mobile Area

Moderator: snoopdog

lzb3
Copepod

Potential For MAJOR Disaster

Post by lzb3 »

No, I am not dead. :roll: Yes, I still have the monster tank and yes, everything is growing like crazy. The purple edge green cap is the size of a basketball. :shock: You guys need to come over soon.

And, unfortunately, you may have the opportunity. Charlie and I have found a small crack near the bottom of our monster tank in the front. We know it has not been there too long but do not know how or why the tank cracked. We marked the spot with a permanent marker so as to watch the progression (if any).

We think we can put an acrylic patch on it if it starts to crack further up the tank, but as you well know, a disaster may strike before we have the chance. Right now we are in "watch and see" mode. You just don't have any other choice when you are dealing with a tank this size.

In the event that the damn thing gives way, or we are forced to dismantle it, we will most definately need assistance. Anyone that can lend a hand with the demolition, will be welcome. Anyone that can house critters, whether they be swimming, crawling or sessile will be badly needed and will be so appreciated.

One thing is for sure, if it goes we will not have another tank this size but rather 2 smaller ones...like 180's or 220's or something. Lordy I hope we don't have to go there!

Anyway....keep your fingers crossed and keep the prayer chain going...

Elizabeth
lzb3
Copepod

Post by lzb3 »

Here is a blurry picture of the crack. You can see the permanent marker showing where the crack ends....TODAY!
Attachments
crack07-11-04.JPG
crack07-11-04.JPG (75.48 KiB) Viewed 2536 times
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

Did this crack just pop up, is there any chance it was there before ??? Of course you know all of us will help when you need it Liz.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

Can you get someone out there to look at it. Perhaps it can be repaired without dismantling the whole tank.
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
lzb3
Copepod

Post by lzb3 »

Charlie found it today while he was scrubbing coraline algae. He swears that he scrubbed about 2 weeks ago and it was not there. I guess it could have ben there but just not big enough for him to see it. It is right on the front so it is hard to miss, but it isn't where you would suspect it would be. In other words, you would think a tank of this size would crack more in the center 1/3 of the tank and not near the end.

We are gonna watch it and if it starts to grow bigger, then we will have it patched. I only worry that it will "blow" before we have a chance to get it fixed.

Nice to know you guys will be there though. Thanks a zillion.

Elizabeth
customreefs
Amoeba

-

Post by customreefs »

:arrow:
Last edited by customreefs on Wed Jul 14, 2004 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
danielmiller82
Bristleworm

Post by danielmiller82 »

I will have a 30 gallon setup in a month or two and a possibly a 20g starting tomorrow.. I will babysit whatever I can.
-daniel
http://www.admiller.com
-30g long and a 9g percula tank in the babies room.
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

If you need some storage tanks I have a 55 and a couple of 20's. If you need somebody to hold corals I can do that too (not all of them though). Just give me a call if the need ever arises.
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
Snakeman
Astrea snail

Post by Snakeman »

My tank is pretty much maxed out so I want be able to hold anything but if you need any help breaking down your tank or tansporting anything just call me.
tbmoore
Astrea snail

Post by tbmoore »

Just a thought but the people that fix cracks in windshields might be able to help.
Jahdiel
Astrea snail

Post by Jahdiel »

We have a 55 & 30 not being used if you think it might help you. Or we could babysit. Let us know it we can help. Look forward to meeting you at the meeting.
Xster
Astrea snail

Post by Xster »

I can babysit corals for you! But not fish, they will be too much of a pain to catch!!!

Good luck Liz....and please fix that beautiful tank!
tbmoore
Astrea snail

Post by tbmoore »

Same as xster....I can hold some corals but just try and get a fish out of a reef.....almost imposible. Also if I am not working will help with any moving that needs to be done. Hope the crack stops and everything goes ok....it would scare me to death.... :cry:
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

I have plenty of room for corals, and a 55G refuge plus part of a 75G sump that can be sectioned off, that can house extra fish if you need it Liz.
-Josh Murrah
tbmoore
Astrea snail

Post by tbmoore »

Any update on the crack??