How To Increase Participation

Discussion Of Local Group Meetings For the Baldwin County and Mobile Area

Moderator: snoopdog

jerryf
Amoeba

How To Increase Participation

Post by jerryf »

I've noticed you guys/girls are interested in increasing participation in your group. I liked the idea that one of you had about e-mailing everyone about upcoming meetings. Everyone doesn't always have the time to surf all of their favorite sites.

I think you should do one more thing. As new members register, you should all make an effort to welcome them in. I know it's not easy to start a conversation if you don't know anything about the person, but you do know they're interested in the hobby that you are already good at. I plan to get more involved with your group. However, so far, it hasn't been easy. Only Mike has replied to any message that I've sent.

I'm not complaining, just offering a suggestion. This is where you need to try to help break the circle and help others get in.

I travel Mon-Thur, but I'll check in again next weekend. I'm looking forward to learning from all of you.

jerryf@bellsouth.net
Amyjoe
Hermit Crab

Post by Amyjoe »

Thanks for dropping by.... We are just a little group of people with big aspirations! Hoping to gain a few members along the way. We are all at different stages of reef keeping but there is a wealth of knowledge to be shared and we would love to have you aboard. Sorry for not posting soon, I have been studying all day, getting ready for my final finals.

Again hope you plan to stick around we have some regular posters and not so regular posters just the same with the meetings, they are a hoot and love to attend them so hope we all get to know you better.

Amy
Wonder what it is going to take to get a bigger tank?????
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

I can tell you Jerry, we do post alot but this weekend was really busy for all of us. The meeting was Saturday nite, my wife has finals, middle of rennovating the house and haventy had but a few minutes each day to troll my boards )

Anyway welcome aboard ! Tell us a little bit about yourself and what stage of the hobby that you are in. We do alot of trading out amongst our member of equipment and livestock. We are trying to get into doing mass coral/clean-up crew packages to save some money, cause this hobby has a way of eating into the pocket book if you like it !
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
harbingerofthefish
Copepod
Location: ^^Harbinger wishes he was way up here^^ - um...can we say abuse of power here?! and memphis, tn ;)

Post by harbingerofthefish »

wasn't busy for me, just lazy. I can tell you it's not a "circle" more like a adjustable clamp like a on radiator hose. we went from 20 to 8 pretty quick. welcome in. seeing as you won't get this till friday, talk to you saturday.
"nothing is the matter, it don't matter what you think"
Amyjoe
Hermit Crab

Post by Amyjoe »

HEHEHE :roll: Clamp
Wonder what it is going to take to get a bigger tank?????
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

All things said I think we will be growing soon. We have had some die off of our club but alot of us and anxious to see this get off the ground and everyone seems dedicated that they want this to take off. Look for a long post from me tonight about changes to come.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
SaltnLime
Chromis

Post by SaltnLime »

I would , as we have discussed in the past,like to have a "discussion" topic. We do not have to be experts to do alittle background work and discuss some things in the hobby that we are interested in or need more info on.
"Well......maybe I did get alittle carried away! "
jerryf
Amoeba

Post by jerryf »

I'm back in town after another hard week. Trying to catch yp on all of your posts. Wish I could participate throughout the week. I'm looking forward to attending my first meeting in June. I'm only 1 year into this and I think i might be addicted. I'm not only interested in joining, I am willing to help any way I can.

Amyjoe, you asked for info on my tank. I'll try to make it breif. First, I need to complete my lighting and get an RO unit. Currently, I have the following over simplified rookie set-up:

Prizm Skimmer
2 Power Compact lights

I have a couple of shrooms, a few various frags of corals, yellow ball sponge, mandarin goby, yellow watchman (with shrimp), 5 green chromis, bicolored blenny, springerii damsel, marble starfish, light green brain, tube anenome & some xmas tree worms.

I'd like my direction to change more toward the anenomes and corals but I need some improvements first. At least I feel fortunate to live in P-Cola. It seems we have more places to shop around here.

Sorry, that's as brief as I could be.
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

Welcome! I actually have been on vacation and jsut got your e-mail tonight. I have added your e-mail to the club e-mail list. You will be getting notification of meetings and maybe other things. I also will try and call and let you know about the meetings if I can't get the e-mail outin time.

Scott
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

I missed Scott while he was gone, he is a backbone of this organization.
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

Definitly agree Kevin!
-Josh Murrah
jerryf
Amoeba

Post by jerryf »

Thanks Scott. I really looking forward to meeting all of you. I'm glad nobody took offense to any suggestions from me. I was a little worried that you might not want input from "the new guy".
reeferpuffer
Astrea snail

Post by reeferpuffer »

new guy, schmew guys, were all the same