My fish are sick!!!

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

Fish-R-Friends
Amoeba

My fish are sick!!!

Post by Fish-R-Friends »

Hello everyone,

My fish have white spots on them. Im told it's Ick. Ive done a 25 percent wate change. Looks a little better but not a lot. Any suggestions??
tbmoore
Astrea snail

Post by tbmoore »

sounds like ICH.....I recomend you install a UV sterlizer...(I know some do not like them)...also soak your food in garlic juice.....might add some cleaner shrimp. Keep your water stable and fish out of stress.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

What size tank and name the fish that have Ick. If the fish are not stressed then the Ich will normally go away on it's own.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
Jahdiel
Astrea snail

Post by Jahdiel »

I personally like kick ick if all else fails. It is safe on reef tanks. fish, and inverts. I have tried the copper formulas and haven't had near the luck as with KI and a few cleaner shrimp. Check and make sure it isn't a fish mate compatability. That is what we were dealing with. I finally wised up and kept them apart. and she is doing much better.
Karen
tbmoore
Astrea snail

Post by tbmoore »

I have tried KI and it did kill some of my reef off....I still feel the going the natural way with UV and cleaner shrimp and garlic is safer....
NM354
Copepod

Post by NM354 »

if you have a magnum filter you can lower your salinity and run a micron filter that way the ick will come off of the fish due to the lower salinity and the micron will filter out the parasite.
tbmoore
Astrea snail

Post by tbmoore »

Sounds like a lot of stress on the tank....especialy if any corals...
LoneStar
Amoeba

Post by LoneStar »

I agree with the cleaner shrimp solution. I have never had an ick prob while I had a cleaner shrimp in the tank. Lost my cleaner a while back and a couple months later my blue tang started getting ick. Bought a new cleaner and the ick was gone in 2 days. Plus it is neat to watch them pick it off.

Jeremy
Jahdiel
Astrea snail

Post by Jahdiel »

I wish I could say I have had that success. I have 4 cleaner shrimp and my large tang is ALWAYS being picked yet she still gets it. I think there are so many factors envolved with each tank
Karen