Sick fish

Discussion Of Local Group Meetings For the Baldwin County and Mobile Area

Moderator: snoopdog

Fish-R-Friends
Amoeba

Sick fish

Post by Fish-R-Friends »

It has been a bad week for my reef. I have lost 4 fish in the last week. ICK im told. I have tryed water changes etc. etc. Garlic juice seem to be helping. My clown was laying on the bottom yesturday, but hes up and about today :lol: im just not sure how long to keep feeding them food soaked in garlic juice. Any ideas????
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

I usually have Ich problems with tangs.... tangs like Nori (the green stuff you wrap sushi with, it's dried/roasted seaweed).... take Nori, and let it soak in a container of garlic juice, like a small tupperware... then put the Nori into the tank, on a clip, and the tangs will eat it up!
-Josh Murrah
Amyjoe
Hermit Crab

Post by Amyjoe »

When we had tangs (when we had tangs) we always soaked our food in garlic, it was just part of the supplemental feeding for that always Just in case they stress thing. So what I am saying is it doesn't seem to matter too much how long you feed the garlic soaked food. I would suggest until every one is looking good and feeding well.
Fishfood
Chromis
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Fishfood »

I'd also consider hyposalinity. If it is a reef tank you will have to remove the fish to a different tank but hypo seems to work well. I came home from christmas one year and the tank was so bad. I had two tangs laying on the bottom and my clown was almost just sitting on the bottom of the tank. Before i could get a hypo tank set up both tangs died and the clown was almost there but with 3 weeks of hypo he came back and was doing great, until a year later he decided he wanted to see what it was like outside of the tank. I'd look it up on RC becuase i'm not sure what specific gravity you want to go down to anymore. I haven't done it in a few yrs. I will be doing it in a QT with my fish for my new tank.
Amyjoe
Hermit Crab

Post by Amyjoe »

Some one else had suggested that(hyposalinity). We have fresh water dipped our fish before, same reason Ick and or Marine Velvet, but for continued hyposalinity you would have to set up a separate tank for that, don't want to drop the salinity on you corals they wouldn't be happy with you.
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

Might consider soaking the food in Zoe or Selcon , at least until they look better.
I've heard there is a vitamin for babies that is essentially the same thing , but have yet to check it out.
- A wookie is nothing more than three ewoks duct taped together.
tbmoore
Astrea snail

Post by tbmoore »

If it is ich....get a uv steralizer....soak food in garlic juice.....keep tank stable....cleaner shrimp.....6 line wrassle...if they are not alread walking dead they will come back....
Snakeman
Astrea snail

Post by Snakeman »

I always soak my food in ginger garlic and selcon.
RENTON: I chose not to choose life. I chose something else. And the reasons? There are no reasons. Who needs reasons when you've got Heroin?
Fish-R-Friends
Amoeba

Post by Fish-R-Friends »

Looks like I kicked the ICK. MY clown was looking bad but he's back to his hand fed self. I lost 5 fish in all. Blue Tang 2", Banner fish(heniochus diphreutes)4" , Yellowheaded Sleeper Goby,5" Coral Beauty, And a Yellow Damsel 1.5". Big loss for my little tank.But I and It will survive and rebuild. Learn as you go. THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP.
Jahdiel
Astrea snail

Post by Jahdiel »

Oh man I am really sorry to hear that. I am taking Terry's advise and getting a UV soon. I can't stand it when I loose one, it tears me up. But glad to hear you are keeping the spirit up man
Karen