help!!! toadstool trouble!

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

satchmofish
Amoeba

help!!! toadstool trouble!

Post by satchmofish »

i got a new toadstool leather & i think i got some bad gouge about the requirements. he said they dont like water flow. however i put him in a spot without much at all & he wont open up. any advice would be great!
uncommon valor was a common virtue
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

Huh, as far as I know they like plenty of light when they can get it. Also like water flow but not necessarily direct.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
Jahdiel
Astrea snail

Post by Jahdiel »

How long have you had the leather in your tank? They are very finicky, one touch by you and they could close up for a couple of weeks, even have heard of one taking a month to decide to shed and puff back up. I wouldn't be to concerned just yet.
Karen
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

Brushing it off daily with a turkey baster will encourage it to open back up.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
dave3112
Amoeba

Post by dave3112 »

I would give it time and good flow for the first couple of weeks until it decides to open up. After it opens up you can move it around to see where it likes it best. But it does take a while sometimes to fully open when you first get them especially if they were shipped.

Dave
NM354
Copepod

Post by NM354 »

Mine took a couple weeks to open up. They are notorious for falling over looking like they are dying but don't worry about it unless it starts melting away. Just put it where you like it and wait it will open up eventually. If I change anything with the water flow it will close up for a few days.
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

Did somebody say toadstool? Look up the thread about my 240G tank in the AL reefkeeper's area on this forum... and go to page 10, there's pics... toadstools like light and don't really care about water flow, jsut don't try to blow them over with a direct output or anything. And yeah, they'll look like crap for the first week or two on average at least... as Kevin said, hitting it with a turkey baster to keep sand off and to loosen the dead skin on top when they molt is very important.

Toadstool guy, out!
-Josh Murrah
KrazyPlace
Astrea snail

Post by KrazyPlace »

Yep... they like light... not direct water flow, but they do need water flow like any other coral.
Wind me up!