Circulation Idea

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

Fragum
Amoeba

Circulation Idea

Post by Fragum »

Andy and Dan stoped by my house this weekend to see my tank and pick up a few frags of xenia and I pointed out that i had a problem with flow in my tank. I have a Mag 24 that has to be choked down quite a bit because my weir cant handle that much water.

They suggested to open up the teeth on the weir, which I plan on doing, to get more water in. Another idea that they suggested was to get more water dispersed around the tank since my weir and returns are on one end of the tank.

I found this pic from a guys build on RC. It is on a closed loop, but I think I could incorporate it into my return

Just thought I would post this to get some feedback from you and from Andy and Dan since it was their idea
Attachments
manifoldtop.jpg
manifoldtop.jpg (56.24 KiB) Viewed 1938 times
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

That setup would get expensive QUICK with that flexible outlet stuff, can't remember what it's called. I have the same type setup, four outlets fed from overhead PVC running the edges of the tank, I ended up using 1" PVC and risers & elbows from the sprinkler section of the hardware store... works like a champ and only cost a few $, although not as easy to aim where you want it. I'm currently running two Mag24's, but I'm probably gonna go back to single Mag 24 to feed all four outlets, since I have both of them choked down right now.
-Josh Murrah
tbmoore
Astrea snail

Post by tbmoore »

I would not choke down these pumps. It causes excess wear. I also use oversize pumps on everything but place a T on the output and send the excess pack to the sump. I place a valve on this return to control how much flow goes to the skimmer or tank, ect. Alos on cutting off the teeth on the returns you will skim better since you will take a small slice of the surface water and allow increase flow.
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

Sorry, when I said choked, I meant that I was diverting 1/2 the flow back to the sump via ball valve :)
-Josh Murrah
danielmiller82
Bristleworm

Post by danielmiller82 »

thats pretty much what I was talking about...maybe not THAT many heads and you might be able to get away with using shorter heads (randomly use different nozzels) I don't know if I would build one that goes all the way around at first. I think that might be too many nozzels and the flow would be pretty low at the far end of the pipe. You might wanna try it a few ways without gluing the pipes together. maybe try a pipe down the center of the tank.
like this...

___|____|___|
| | |

See how that works for you
-daniel
http://www.admiller.com
-30g long and a 9g percula tank in the babies room.
andy4499
Chromis

Post by andy4499 »

Something like that would work but with maybe 6 or so heads coming off of it though. Two on each end and two in the middle.
Fragum
Amoeba

Post by Fragum »

Thanks for the feedback. My thought was to run 4 on each side, if ran down the middle I beleive it would interfere with my lighting.

I'm wondering if that piping is spray painted or if there is black pvc out there somewhere.

Know matter what i do I still have to open up the teeth of the weir, so first things first. I'll let you know how it goes.
danielmiller82
Bristleworm

Post by danielmiller82 »

it wasnt actually supposed to look like that... he spacing is messed up on the bottom branches...you get the picture though
-daniel
http://www.admiller.com
-30g long and a 9g percula tank in the babies room.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

You do not want my opinion on that top picture. :roll:
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
tbmoore
Astrea snail

Post by tbmoore »

I think you are overworking this....there is filtration and there is circulation.do not mix the two...just bring the return back oposite of your skim.....then use other pumps for circulation and wave makers....I suggest tunze or seio pumps....on wavemakers or timers...keep it simple....spray bars ect are just not my choice and I have wasted a lot of pvc trying it all....use pumps you can aim for current and keep it seperate from your filtration....jmo
Last edited by tbmoore on Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

Moto - Keep it simple.

The more joints, the more places for leaks. I was Mr Overkill for too long, I learned my lesson.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate