Coral Bleaching... Again!

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

KrazyPlace
Astrea snail

Coral Bleaching... Again!

Post by KrazyPlace »

OK... I went on vacation and when I came back I have 4 corals bleaching! I checked the salinity and the nitrates... both are good. I haven't 'lost' any fish or corals either. My lighting is still on the 'correct' cycle so I think I didn't lose power.

What else have you guys seen after a vacation that can cause bleaching?
Wind me up!
Scott
Goby
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Scott »

My wife turned the thermostat up during the summer once when we went off for the weekend. I think the house got too hot and I had a few bleach.
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
KrazyPlace
Astrea snail

Post by KrazyPlace »

Scott wrote:My wife turned the thermostat up during the summer once when we went off for the weekend. I think the house got too hot and I had a few bleach.
At what temperature do you think they will start to bleach?
Wind me up!
Scott
Goby
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Scott »

I believe that certain sps will start to bleach if the sustained temp is above 86 or there is a temp spike above 92.
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

That's just their way of showing they missed you. :)
- A wookie is nothing more than three ewoks duct taped together.
KrazyPlace
Astrea snail

Post by KrazyPlace »

I did a 35% water change last night and cleaned out the refuge. Hopefully this bleaching will be self correcting because right now it looks like I might loose most my corals. My big orange Monti Cap and the Purple Monti Cap are also showing signs of bleaching!
Wind me up!
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

What temperature do you normally keep your tank at? Corals that are normally kept under somewhat cooler temperatures (i.e. 77-78 degrees) are actually likely to bleach in water as warm as 82-84 degrees. So, say if there were a spike in temperature during the day while you were gone, which can happen, then even this slight increase could cause the bleaching.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
KrazyPlace
Astrea snail

Post by KrazyPlace »

I have kept my tank between 80-81 until recently when the really hot weather came along. Now I've seen it spike as high as 84. I just added a fan to my sump today. I'm ordering a temperature controller to run the fan. Hopefully I can drop the temperature below 80 again. I'm starting to think that the temperature spiked really high while I was gone on vacation.
Wind me up!
Jahdiel
Astrea snail

Post by Jahdiel »

Interesting you have this post, I just found 2 of mine starting to bleach, looks like I need to keep a better eye on my readings for awhile
Karen
KrazyPlace
Astrea snail

Post by KrazyPlace »

Karen, is your house hotter during the summer than during the winter?
Wind me up!
Jahdiel
Astrea snail

Post by Jahdiel »

KrazyPlace wrote:Karen, is your house hotter during the summer than during the winter?
Is that a trick question? :lol:
No seriously we keep ours set at about 74 year round. Since my post I went in the tank and chipped away the bleached areas and so far it has not spread, so my hope is that possibly it was detruis collection. I'll keep you updated on mine. How is yours doing now, I really hope it has stopped for you. I could not imagine staring at these little guys as well as all your hard efforts fading. My heart goes out to you.
Karen
KrazyPlace
Astrea snail

Post by KrazyPlace »

**UPDATE**

Most of my corals have colored up. I have one nice coral that still is showing quite a bit of white, but the tips have blued/purpled up pretty good. I think I'm in good shape now.

Still don't know what caused the bleaching, but I still think it was heat. I have added 2 fans to the sump and I think I can keep the day time temperature to 80 F with that running.
Wind me up!