Buying a Sun Conure...

Off Topic Discussion - Chat about anything, just keep it fairly clean.

Moderator: snoopdog

Melissakins
Bristleworm

Post by Melissakins »

A good breeder???? whaaaaat? the first thing you see on their page is a hybrid macaw!

No more wildcaught Macaws are allowed to be imported to the US, so the gene pool we have now is fairly limited. The first bird you see on the webpage posted is a hybrid, a mix of two different breeds of Macaws. Where they're pretty birds, they're not a full Greenwing or Blue and Gold or Scarlet or Military, etc etc.
Wild caught birds - David Carol President bird club

It is now illegal to import wild caught birds into the United States. This law was enacted so all baby birds for sale are domestic bred.
AND:
All macaws are listed on CITES Appendix I or II, meaning they are all protected under international regulations as either an endangered or threatened species.
So breeding two different types of Macaws is limiting what we have now in the US. Just my two cents worth. Really, your best bet is to go to a show (like the one they have in Mobile or the one in Destin or Pensacola) and talk to some of the people selling their babies. I personally wouldn't give my business to anyone breeding two different breeds of Macaws together.

Basically, you're f*****g with the bloodlines of an endangered species that can no longer be imported.
Last edited by Melissakins on Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
"You can say any fool thing to a dog, and the dog will give you this look that says, `My God, you're RIGHT! I NEVER would've thought of that!'" - Dave Barry

40 gallon tall
15 gallon refugium
2.5 gallon mantis tank
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

8)
Obviously, Melissa and I are kinda opposed to the deliberate hybridization of endangered species :)
- A wookie is nothing more than three ewoks duct taped together.
Melissakins
Bristleworm

Post by Melissakins »

Sorry if I make anyone mad.....or come off sounding like an ass....
"You can say any fool thing to a dog, and the dog will give you this look that says, `My God, you're RIGHT! I NEVER would've thought of that!'" - Dave Barry

40 gallon tall
15 gallon refugium
2.5 gallon mantis tank
danielmiller82
Bristleworm

Post by danielmiller82 »

A few people who I have been talking to about Sun Conures all say to stay away from them. I'm wondering if they got bad ones or if its normal. Im getting very mixed signals about these birds. They all tell me to get something a little more tame and quiet. The bird these people keep recommending is the Eclectus. From what I have read is that these guys can REALLY talk well and they are one of the least destructive of all medium sized parrots.
-daniel
http://www.admiller.com
-30g long and a 9g percula tank in the babies room.
Melissakins
Bristleworm

Post by Melissakins »

Daniel,

Any parrot you buy has the potential to talk, it doesn't mean they will talk. Sometimes people buy African Grey's for the "talking capabilities" and wind up with a bird who doesn't make a sound at all :) It's a crap shoot. We were told Blue and Gold's don't talk a lot, but make sounds. Boy were they wrong!

As far as destructability goes, the same applies. We have two parrotlets (parrotlets by the way are as big as finches - kinda small packages buuuuut........) who can whittle wood like you wouldn't believe. You're going to spend money on toys, you're going to spend time cleaning up after the bird(s), you're going to spend time wishing your bird would STOP talking/screaming/making noise.

Having a parrot/bird is a lifetime committment depending on the type of bird/parrot you get. Like I said earlier, a Conure can live upwards of 30 years. Same with a Quaker. Macaw's live a bit long 80+ years. You will have to write them into your will or make arrangements for them once you're gone. It's like having a kid. Well, like having a kid who lives in a cage but gets a lot of free time outside of its cage. You'll totally change your lifestyle.

Cleaning products? Get rid of them. Smoking in the house? Don't. Rug cleaners including but not limited to Baking Soda - throw them out, it'll kill your bird. Food? Any food you have (except chocolate, avocado's, tomato's and alcohol) that you eat they want to eat. They poop, they'll go thru terrible twos, they'll regurgitate for you, the list goes on.

Eclectus are very beautiful birds. They're a parrot you can tell a difference in the sexes. That's a cool thing about them. Talkability, again, it's a crap shoot. There is 100% NO guarantee they will or won't talk. There IS a 100% guarantee they will destroy a toy or something you like that they're able to get to. :)

Are you going to the meeting Saturday? I'll tell you all about everything I know about Parrots :)

40 gallon tall
15 gallon refugium
2.5 gallon mantis tank
Melissakins
Bristleworm

Post by Melissakins »

I am totally not trying to talk you out of buying a parrot, just trying to give you some idea of my day to day experiences over the last 6 years :)

I'll pm you some links for some forums people who have parrots go to. Very educational.

I don't think there's any such thing as a "bad" sun conure, other than the sound they make :) But hey, I have a Macaw and a Quaker who do that from the time they get up til the time they go to bed in between laughing, asking for stuff to eat, telling me I'm bad, singing along with the radio, flapping their wings, telling me bye bye, love you, be right back etc etc....

oh and saying What? What and Hey Hey over and over and over again :)

40 gallon tall
15 gallon refugium
2.5 gallon mantis tank
danielmiller82
Bristleworm

Post by danielmiller82 »

Yeah I will be there. I know that different birds have different personalities, just like people. And I know that they are lifelong pets. From what there people with conures are saying is that they require lots of attention and usually they will attach to only one person. I could deal with that if it attached to me, but my wife is really busy now. The eclectus seems to require less daily attention and that would be nice for when I take all day trips. From all I have read, the eclectus (in general) fits my lifestyle well. According to many sources, they tend to be quieter (IE not squawking just for the heck of it), they are cleaner(don't throw food) and have excellent potential to reproduce speech very well. I know that the bird I get could never talk..but thats not why I would get it in the first place. I had a cockatiel for about 10 years when I was younger and I put up with do much crap from that bird!!! It would freak out at the smallest things, made a huge mess out of everything, never could whistle anything, had a bad temper with others sometimes, pooped every few minutes. But I loved that bird. The only thing that remotly bothered me with that bird was its dust, and that would mildly irritate my nose after playing with it for a couple of hours. Another plus from the Eclectus is that they have an Oil gland instead of a dust gland..so NO MORE FEATHER DUST!! They are quite a bit more expensive ($800-900) but they are beautiful!! And if they have the ability to learn numerous words (near the ability of Grey's) That would be freaking awesome!!!

I know its all a gamble, but I think I have better odds at getting the exact bird I want if the traits I prefer are common throughout the species.

I might just take you up on that offer and pick your brain some at the party..err I mean meeting.
-daniel
http://www.admiller.com
-30g long and a 9g percula tank in the babies room.
Melissakins
Bristleworm

Post by Melissakins »

Here's a link you might find interesting about Eclectus - this woman has been around for a loooooong time, Carolyn Swicegood and is an "Expert" on the Eclectus Parrot. I think you'll find some interesting info on some of the stuff you commented on.

http://www.landofvos.com/articles/misconceptions.html

Another one for you to look at:

http://www.landofvos.com/articles/index.html

One more, this is the home page for Eclectus parrots by Carolyn.

http://www.landofvos.com/eclectus.html

Lots and lots of great info, insights by parrot owners and some neat photo's.

40 gallon tall
15 gallon refugium
2.5 gallon mantis tank
Melissakins
Bristleworm

Post by Melissakins »

Oh and pick away :)

I enjoy talking about my birds :)

40 gallon tall
15 gallon refugium
2.5 gallon mantis tank
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

Since most any birds live so long, it's a big decision, no need to rush into it. I'd visit some bird fairs, do research online, etc.. Just be honest with yourself and take your time. Sounds like your on the right track trying to see what species fits your lifestyle.

How much money can you spend on upkeep?
Seriously.. something we've learned the hard way. Birds are soooooo cheap compared to their keeping them happy, healthy, and well-fed.
$1000 or so seems steep for a macaw at first, but when you consider they can go through a $30 toy in a couple of hours. I think it would be cheaper sometimes to just pull some money out of the ATM and let him play with that :). A visit to the vet for a well-bird visit will probably run you a couple of hundred, a decent cage a couple grand, fresh vegetables daily, seed mix, pellets, etc...you see the price of the bird is not so much considering the cost of keeping one happy & healthy.

What I know about eclectus, is they act kinda like cats, a bit aloof, and independent, definetly not the clowns that macaws are, and not as needy as cockatoos. I think time spent with them would consist of them sitting on your knee while you're on the computer or watching tv.
Whereas time spent with a sun, would be like a little runaway freight train.. all over the place being silly ,etc.

The eclectuses I've been around had kind of a musky odor to them, but I don't know if that was just a problem with those particular birds, or the breed in general. I think they're gorgeous, I love the candy corn beak on the males. They seem to be very serious birds. like they're working out ways to solve world hunger in their heads or some other deep thoughts :) I know Melissa's fallen for a few of them before with their cute voices.
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

Post the link to that barbie girl video Melissa, if you can find it.. it's funny
Melissakins
Bristleworm

Post by Melissakins »

40 gallon tall
15 gallon refugium
2.5 gallon mantis tank
cnovak
Amoeba

Post by cnovak »

My girlfriend got her sun at D&H Bird World located at the Mobile flea market on Schillenger Road.they breed and hand raise #251-679-8255 if you want to call them up and ask for more info on that breed or any other breed you're looking for. Also there is one other breeder there, can't remember the name but usually has good prices on cages. Especially later in the day, i guess they drop the prices hoping to sell. Our conure is VERY loud. in the morning, at evening, and any other time it wants attention. You can stand on the street at the mail box and still hear it from the house. It is a little acrobat though, spends most of the time hanging upside down on anything like a little monkey. And yes if it gets it's beak on something consider it destroyed. LOL