State Vs. Insurance Companies

Off Topic Discussion - Chat about anything, just keep it fairly clean.

Moderator: snoopdog

Jahdiel
Astrea snail

State Vs. Insurance Companies

Post by Jahdiel »

We all have been aggravated one way or another by insurance companies. We have felt smoozed into buying policies, robbed when our backs are up against the wall, and assaulted by them after a vehicle, bodily, or property claim is in their words "Resolved". We watch the news with saddened hearts for those individuals that lost their homes due to mother nature, only to have to fight with the insurance companies to rebuild their homes and lives.
But then "The Man" also steps in and in a flash saying "You must move in the name of progress". No disputes, no compromising, DISCUSSION IS OVER, MOVE! And they call it (eminent domain) a cute word for a crappy decision made by The Man.
I am sure by now you have figured out what the state of AL gave us tonight for a Christmas greeting. Your belongings, tho you work hard to buy, are never really yours!
Karen
Brian
Amoeba

Post by Brian »

I know it doesn't really help much but a family friend had the same thing happen to them not long ago because they decided to build the new evacuation route and her house was in the way. She got almost 2 times what her property and house were worth monetarily. I am sure it was worth more to her than the money but atleast they compensated her well.
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

So what the Hell, Karen....they're gonna take your house because their widening 27?
Jahdiel
Astrea snail

Post by Jahdiel »

Thanks for the kind words Brian. I'm glad they did that for your friend, but you are correct, it cant replace the memories and hard work put to a home. This place didnt even have a blade of grass on it when we bought it 14 years ago. Not to mention, I promised the kids, after all the moving we did, as well as the big move from PA, that they would always be able to call this place thier home. A place to have roots.
Yes Sue, it is for the widening of 27. We thought we were safe, it was all supposed to be on the east side. And for some reason they switch sides at the bottom of our hill. Funny, right where they ok a subdivision and business to be built without the neighbors say. It isn't even started yet, but they are allowing it to go through. That almighty $ speakes loud.
Karen
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

That just sucks. I know how much you love that place and you've worked so hard on it. I'm really sorry to hear that. If there's anything we can do, or if you just need to vent, just call.
Scott
Goby
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Scott »

It's funny (not really) how the government can do what they want when they want and how they want but if we are a day late filing taxes they want to come down on us. When they widened D.I.P. the new lane went through one of my friends garage. IMO he didn't get enough to compensate himself for all the crap that he went though. The government thinks a house is just a house. They have no concept of what a persons home means. We have thought about moving for a while but our house has become a home and even though it is not even an average house we are comfortable. With some current events we still may move, I have never had the freedom to go and do what I would like before, but it would have to be some sort of great thing for us to move now.
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

WTF? That's a pretty crappy deal, yay for progress :oops:
Sorry Karen, I know you guys have put a lot into your place to make it nice, that's just wrong.
- A wookie is nothing more than three ewoks duct taped together.
Guardfather
Amoeba

Post by Guardfather »

Yes, the government, Federal, state and city, can do what they please since Congress passed the emanate domain law. Hell, they can take your house if they can prove that a business in that location would benefit the local economy.

The only funny thing about that rule is, the guy that pushed it so hard was one of the first to loose his home because the city proved the community could benefit from a business in that locale. Never mind zoning!

One of these days we're gonna all wake up in Red Square.
Captain Barbosa: "The code is more what you call "guidelines" than actual rules. Welcome aboard the Black Pearl, Ms Turner."
donkeyclubmember
Amoeba

Post by donkeyclubmember »

I agree Guarddaughter, Damn the Communist.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”- Jeremiah 29:11
GermanShepherdGirl
Copepod

Post by GermanShepherdGirl »

If the gov. wanted to buy my house for 2 times what it was worth, I'd say "hell yeah!"
-Kristyn
Jahdiel
Astrea snail

Post by Jahdiel »

I can't see them doing that for us. We just had our house appraised last month for 140,000. I bet they don't even touch that.
Karen
Jahdiel
Astrea snail

Post by Jahdiel »

I have a map infront of me from the county meeting, saying they are starting phase 1 on this side of 181 (former 27), yet the newspaper says it starts on the other end. Anyone else hear anything?
Karen
andy4499
Chromis

Post by andy4499 »

I cannot believe that is happening. If we can do anything for you let us know.
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

If it helps you relate, the same thing happened to my grandmother. She had been at that particular house for 40 years--had done numerous renovations, planted a vast yard (her pride and joy), and all those other goodies. They told her get off and well give you 15,000 (house was worth loads more than that, appraised as 75k) or dont and we'll make you get off with nothing in pocket--and there isnt jack shit you can do about it (a true quote from a county worker). She ended up leaving, only taking two of her favorite plants and some of her belongings after she sold much of it. Didnt give up without a fight. For those in Mobile, ever wonder why it took so long to pave and widen Schillinger--can anyone say "injunction." :D
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium