School Project

This forum would make Sanford and Son's proud.

Moderator: snoopdog

jagal
Amoeba

School Project

Post by jagal »

My daughter's teacher is wanting to setup a marine aquarium in her classroom for hands on teaching of marine biology. Problem is, as we all know, school finances are always low. The teacher has to do everything out of pocket.

I will be helping her with some of the equipment and setup. I was wondering if anyone on here has any 29 to 40 gallon tanks that they are willing to donate or part with very cheap for this great project?

The school is Bellview Middle School in Pensacola. Any questions can be pointed my way.

Thank you in advance.

jagal
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

Personally I think this could be a disaster. I could think of a hundred reasons this could go bad. Does she really know what to do for a reef tank, I mean the time involved and cost ? I mean you obviously are not going to be there all the time to take care of problems as they rise.

I am not trying to come off totally negative, but more concerned about killing live corals/fish when it can be avoided.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
jagal
Amoeba

Post by jagal »

I understand your concern. It is a valid one. From what I understand, the teacher has experience with freshwater aquariums but wants to make the move to marine. I see this as nothing more than any other Freshwater aquarist wanting to make the change.

This teacher is very conscientious. I am sure many people switching from fresh to salt have had unwanted deaths. She is wanting to take her students along with her on this learning adventure.

jagal
reefer21
Amoeba

Post by reefer21 »

umm one of my teachers in HS had a marine aquarium and it didn't even last a month...maybe 2 weeks at the most.
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

He said Marine Tank not reef tank. I think he would advise her not to go into a full blown reef from the beginning. We are talking some LR, canister filter, live sand, PC or VHO lighting and Damsals, clowns and chromis to start. Throw in some shrimp and crabs and snails and you have a bigginner marine tank for school children. Thats as cheap as it gets for fish and critters right there.
Beaver
Amoeba

Post by Beaver »

I have done this for teachers at Faulkner in their office and lounge but a classroom takes on different circumstances. The main point is to find out if she uses a "chalk board". If she does then be prepared for wicked ph swings......also the maintance people play a role in the equation, and think about summer vaction......

I agree with snoop she should pass.
There are a ton of educational dvds on marine topics and the DISL has a sweet local setup any age would benefit from.....

Do me a favor and pass this link on to the teacher
http://www.disl.org/

Just my 2 cents
Beaver
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

they still use chalk boards now adays? I haven't seen one of those in ages.
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

The only time pH would become a problem with chalkboards is if the tank were located within 10ft of the board--even then, it would require a fair amount of chalk to make any sort of difference because it is primarily CaCO3, not readily soluble. Besides, schools are phasing out chalkboards due to proven respiratory problems. That is why most now use dry-erase boards.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
SixLDfalcon
Amoeba

Post by SixLDfalcon »

haha, the good old chalk boards...
I'm fairly new at this but any type of salt water aquarium, marine or reef, takes a fair amount of care. Definitely a lot more care than a freshwater. I'd say it would be a gamble for a teacher to be keeping one in a room full of middle schoolers. There are some really stupid kids that would drop in M&M's or whatever just to get a good laugh in.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

Definitely have to think about summer, and long breaks....mardi gras....hurricanes...etc.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
Melissakins
Bristleworm

Post by Melissakins »

There's a lot of awesome DVD's too to choose from for educational purposes, maybe a smaller 10 or 5 gallon would be easier than a 29 or larger for a teacher with kids? There's also cleaning supplies to think of when the janitor comes in to clean after school/on weekends. That and you'd have to take into consideration no one around on the weekends, holiday's, etc.

Not too sure if a reef/marine tank would be a great idea considering the maintenance and delicacy of the whole thing.
"You can say any fool thing to a dog, and the dog will give you this look that says, `My God, you're RIGHT! I NEVER would've thought of that!'" - Dave Barry

40 gallon tall
15 gallon refugium
2.5 gallon mantis tank
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

I wouldn't go too much under 29 for these sorts of applications. While I do not think that the idea shouldn't be considered at all (since it really is a viable, realistic option), I also don't think that it would help much to get such a small tank. The pitfalls and greater difficulties (at least for a novice--the teacher) associated with smaller tanks can be quite discouraging. So I think that a 29 should be the minimum for such an application, at least for someone maintaining it with no previous experience.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium