Hello from the LA Reef Club

Off Topic Discussion - Chat about anything, just keep it fairly clean.

Moderator: snoopdog

ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

I definitely second that!
-Josh Murrah
IrishStout
Amoeba

Post by IrishStout »

I got to try one of these famous piggies now! Thanks for all the info and encouragement guys and gals. It's nice to hear that ya'll have been able to keep things with your group at the level that myself and others want to keep ours. Now I don't feel like I need to do anything to better organize the group. Seeing that some of yall have been keeping up with our board over the last couple months you can see that activity has been increasing as well as membership. So I think I will just let things evolve on their own and not try to force an issue.

I'm sure having this board helps alot. This style of board is alot easier to navigate and it functions like all the "major" boards out there so its familiar. Ours is pretty simple, but it works :) I have tried to find the software for making one similar to this one, but the cost is an issue. Anyone know of freeware for this format of board?

You are all right, frosty adult beverages are KEY to having a successful meeting, and food definately helps :) Thanks Again, Colin
God created whiskey to keep the Irish from taking over the world, thanks God, I was thirsty.
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

re: the message board software, there's a link at bottom of every page here, http://www.phpbb.com/ As you said, it's very popular, and I've had experience on a few occasions with this software, good stuff!!! Oh, and it's freeware too.
-Josh Murrah
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

The code for this board is entirely free.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
tnguy86
Amoeba

i'm from louisiana also

Post by tnguy86 »

hi, my name is tai nguyen. i haven't even met colin or scott yet but i have talked to xster. i like what you all have here.
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

Welcome aboard Tai, Xster is a good person to talk to , he knows his stuff.
Xster
Astrea snail

Post by Xster »

Brandon wrote:Welcome aboard Tai, Xster is a good person to talk to , he knows his stuff.
Xster does not know the "stuff," he just makes it seems as though he does. Completely two different things. :)
IrishStout
Amoeba

Post by IrishStout »

Free!?! It doesn't get any better than that! Once my comp gets back online I'll try and get something set up with it. Thanks again for the info! Later, Colin
God created whiskey to keep the Irish from taking over the world, thanks God, I was thirsty.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

As far as the message board goes it is pretty easy to setup. The only thing is learning some SQL in the process. The board uses one SQL database and gallery uses several functions only native to some providers. I went with Lunarpages for hosting, the price is right and very little downtime. Our package gives us 1200 megs of space, 5 SQL databases and 80 gig of traffic a month. So far we have not even come close to what we could handle on a monthly basis. Our domain does run a little bit more for our yearly reservation but it's not that bad.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
IrishStout
Amoeba

Post by IrishStout »

I just wanted to say a belated thank you to everyone that helped point me in the direction of the phpbb software when I came around asking questions. Going from a yahoo group to this format was a huge upgrade to say the least. If it wasn't for ya'lls site I don't know where we would have ended up, so I just wanted to say thanks again.

Colin
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

Just be sure to keep it upgraded, we have been hacked once. By the way, I am behind on updates...oops.
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.