Triops

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

GermanShepherdGirl
Copepod

Triops

Post by GermanShepherdGirl »

Today I was standing in line at Hobby Lobby and I noticed this little package of triop eggs. I'm assuming they are similar to sea monkeys (aka brine shrimp). So I thought I'd try a little experiment and hatch them and see how they do in my tank. I hear they can get up to 3 inches in a very short time. I thought they would be similar to copepods and something my mandarin might like to eat. Has anyone else ever tried something like this before? :lol:
-Kristyn
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Do not feed them to your mandarin! Triops sp. can carry diseases that can be passed to fish. The species sold in stores is Triops cancriformis, and is what is called a Notostracan--an ancient order of arthropod--also known as tadpole shrimp. They are not like copepods much at all, so I wouldn't even attempt it.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
Snakeman
Astrea snail

Post by Snakeman »

I grew some just to see what they were. They kinda look like a horse shoe crab.
RENTON: I chose not to choose life. I chose something else. And the reasons? There are no reasons. Who needs reasons when you've got Heroin?
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

Mykpoz said there is a store in pensacola that is carrying live pods in a bottle now, I cant think of the name of it now, pet something, maybe petcetera or something similar to that. It is close to Circuit City though.
- A wookie is nothing more than three ewoks duct taped together.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

I have seen these before, they usually put a stick or other thing in the sealed bottle with them. They are normally pretty expensive though. I know a guy that has had one for 8 years. There is just the one pod left, he killed the others :o

http://www.abundantearth.com/store/ecosphere.html

.Of course this may not be what you were talking about.

Last edited by snoopdog on Tue May 02, 2006 11:02 am, edited 3 times in total.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Actually, B&B now sells them as well. I believe they are a Tigriopus species of copepod. They are going to be a bit larger than little Harpacticoid copepods.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
NM354
Copepod

Post by NM354 »

Amphiprion wrote:Actually, B&B now sells them as well. I believe they are a Tigriopus species of copepod. They are going to be a bit larger than little Harpacticoid copepods.
This time they are actually alive unlike the first shipment they sent us. (a few months ago)
GermanShepherdGirl
Copepod

Post by GermanShepherdGirl »

snoopdog wrote:Of course this may not be what you were talking about
No. What I'm talking about only live a month or so and only cost $4.

http://www.tadpoleshrimp.info/index.html

http://www.discoverthis.com/triops.html
-Kristyn