Diving Equipment needed

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

andy4499
Chromis

Diving Equipment needed

Post by andy4499 »

I am looking to buy some equipment. Does anyone know where a good place to get equipment and what is a good brand. I have heard good things about Scuba Pro equipment. What does everyone else use? Also what dive shopes are good. I have been wanting to get more training (Nitrox, Deep diving).
Redfish
Copepod

Post by Redfish »

The equipment you buy will depend on your ultimate desires. The more technical you want to become (deep dives, nitrox, tri-mix, etc..) the more expense and less generic the equipment you ought to buy up front.

I like all of the major manufactures gear. I am a little particularly peaved at Scuba Pro as they do not allow internet sales. You have to buy over the counter. They are probably the last company to try and protect the usual overpricing of some dive shops.

I am not sure of the dive shops in Mobile, but here in Pensacola, Dive Pros, MBT and Scuba hack all seem to be good people.

I do not dive much anymore, but back in the day did some pretty cool stuff including deep water mixed gas diving.

What kind of training do you currently have? What is your budget?
andy4499
Chromis

Post by andy4499 »

As of right now I have only been through the basic diving certifications with PADI. I got certified two years ago and have not done any diving since, but I have just gotten out of college and want to start doing some diving. I know it would be cheeper to just rent the equipment when I want to go but I would like to get my own. I have a budget of about $800 as of right now. I already have my mask, fins, snorkal & I just bought this on ebay so my budget is now down to about $400 to find a bc.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1
Redfish
Copepod

Post by Redfish »

Well, that might be your first problem as I am pretty sure that computer does not support Nitrox. Nitrox has become so accepted that you will definitely want to get Nitrox certified.

You shouldn't have a problem with finding a BC for $400 but what about two tanks and a wetsuit? I hate rented air tanks.
Snakeman
Astrea snail

Post by Snakeman »

I have never had a problem with my scuba pro gear. I just trader a really nice Scuba pro bc in at underwater works in daphne. You might want to give them a call. I buy a lot of stuff used. Here is there number. 928-5550.
RENTON: I chose not to choose life. I chose something else. And the reasons? There are no reasons. Who needs reasons when you've got Heroin?
andy4499
Chromis

Post by andy4499 »

I asked the guy before i bought it and he said that is would work with nitrox and that is all he used it for. I am really hoping that he did not lie to me. As for the wetsuit I bought one when I got certified. I have not tried it on since but it should still fit me. I also got some boots back then. I would really like to find a BC for around 200-300 that way I will have a little left over to go on at least one dive after I get everything. I planed on renting my tanks unless I found a good deal on them somewhere. For now I will stick with air tanks, but I am hoping by mid summer I will get certified in nitrox.

Thanks snakeman I will give them a call today. What size was the BC that you traded them? I think that I will need a size XL.
andy4499
Chromis

Post by andy4499 »

I just called them and they said they did not have any used weight integrated XL BC’s in any brand. Looks like I will have to try another shop or on line. I will get the phone book out and try and call around.
andy4499
Chromis

Post by andy4499 »

What do you think of this set up and I know this computer is for nitrox. I can resell the extra equpment that I get.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... Track=true

or what about one of these BC's

http://cgi.ebay.com/AuqaLung-Malibu-wgt ... dZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/OCEANIC-PRO-TOUR-BC ... dZViewItem
mykpoz
Amoeba

Post by mykpoz »

i was always funny about BC's. If they arent properly taken care of, their lives are short, and they arent as serviceable as your regulators (both 1st and 2nd stage.)

if you buy any of your equipment new, I'd recommend this piece, as you can get a lifetime warranty and rest assured that its 100%

just my thoughts

When I dove, I went oceanic for bc, and scuba pro for the rest for their warranty.
StoneFish
Amoeba

Post by StoneFish »

Have not done much diving lately for the same reasons. I bought all of my stuff (US Divers, now Aqualung) back in the late 80's early 90's. I still prefer this over all of the newer stuff out there. I guess I'm kinda old school when it comes to diving. Back then Scuba Pro was crap, but I will have to say they are probably now one of the better lines. I still have my ScubaPro Jet Fins. I love those.

Anyway, the guy at Underwater Works in Daphne is a nice guy. I stop by and talk with him occassionally. If I were to do some more certification, that's who I would go to.
Last edited by StoneFish on Thu May 11, 2006 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Redfish
Copepod

Post by Redfish »

I did a quick search on the first dive computer and it definietly looks like it does not support Nitrox. Maybe someone has better info though.

I agree with Mike on the BC care and warranty.

The setup you posted looked pretty good. I am not a fan of hoseless computers, but that is a deep diving preference.
andy4499
Chromis

Post by andy4499 »

Yeah I guess I got screwed on that deal with the computer, I will have to use it for now). I got it in yesterday and the battery needed replacing ($16 for a new battery “wow”). I will have to look in to getting a Nitrox computer when I get certified in nitrox or when I get some more money to spend on equipment.
I also picked up a new seaquest pro BC from the shop here in mobile. I paid more then I really wanted for it and my wife was not too happy, because I went over my budget. She also did not like that fact that I had to buy a new mask also because my other one would not hold a seal and leaked in 3 places. I guess that is what you get when you buy it from wal-mart and leave it in the heat. The one I got now is made by oceanic and is very nice.
We took a trip to the beach today to try out my new equipment and found out that I could not get down very well because I did not have enough weights. 6 pounds seamed to be fine when testing it out in the pool but 10 pounds would not cut it in salt water. I will need at least another 3 pounds or so. Other then that things seamed to go well.
tbmoore
Astrea snail

Post by tbmoore »

I would consider that this equipment is there to save your life......Unless brand new from dealer I would not purchase over the internet...I would want it ck out by a shop or know the person before purchase or at least plan on having it repaired ect figured in my budjet.....I would also look into a spare air pack....I have seen them used on more than one ocassion.Unless you have your own boat or going with someone that has their own boat I would think Nitrox might not be that helpful....It is used mainly on deaper dives and most charter to not go places that are that deep.....not sure since I always went out on private trips....
Snakeman
Astrea snail

Post by Snakeman »

Nitrox is good because you can stay down longer without absorbing as much nitrogen. You can't go as deep as you can on regular air. 130 is the max on 32% mix and I think 100 on 36% mix. I alway use 32% mix. If you treat it like regular air and don't go to deep it gives you a safty buffer on your nitrogen intake. I use high presure 120 tanks so I can stay down a long time with out running out of air. I also have a 13 cu ft spare tank I dive with. I buy a lot of used equipment but it all comes from my local dive shop wear it is checked out and serviced. I can tell you this nothing piss off dive shop owners more than somebody bringing in something that they bought new online to get repaired. You should support your local shop as much as you can.
RENTON: I chose not to choose life. I chose something else. And the reasons? There are no reasons. Who needs reasons when you've got Heroin?