44 inch tall CSS 65

Break out the ducktape !

Moderator: snoopdog

oddball
Amoeba

44 inch tall CSS 65

Post by oddball »

I modified my CSS 65 to 44 inches tall. I will see if I can barrow a camera from someone to post pics. I took a 2 1/2’ section of 3” pvc a Male thread and female thread coupling and a female thread insert for 3” pvc I ground the outside of the thread insert down to fit into where the o-ring sits the glued with pvc cement. Put together the PVC pipe with a male coupling on one end and a female threaded coupling on the other. Glued the skimmer cup the side with female threads, cut the return line and extended it up 3’ 8” with 1” pvc. Epoxy around the base of this pipe to prevent leaking. Put Teflon around the new 3” PVC male union threads and carefully thread it into the skimmer. Installed an Via Aqua 600 gph pump and inject air before the pump. On a side note I can not hang the skimmer on the side of the tank anymore for the water pressure will cause it to leak around the base. It has to sit on a firm surface. (I also drilled the collection cup to allow it to drain into a 2L bottle)
oddball
Amoeba

Post by oddball »

I am sorry for the delay here are the pics
it is 6+' tall
Attachments
DSCN0917(4).JPG
DSCN0917(4).JPG (135.83 KiB) Viewed 7511 times
Last edited by oddball on Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

Yeah it may be tall, but your coffee maker is still small.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
NM354
Copepod

Post by NM354 »

How much of an increase in performance have you seen by doing this. Are just using the Via Aqua pump now or are you using the needlewheel as a recirc?
oddball
Amoeba

Post by oddball »

Yes, my skimmer is that tall to compensate for the size of my coffee maker.
Nevertheless, my wife broke the collection cup (she dropped it and it broke where the neck meets the collection cup) and I decided to modify it, and this is the result. :twisted: